Signs you’re a true PSU hipster

You live for the downtown farmers market and cry when it’s over

I tried asking my friends what it is about me that led them all to deem me a “hipster,” but none of them could pinpoint it. One of their responses sums it all up: “I feel like hipsters are like porn: you just know it when you see it.”

Maybe it just takes one to know one. Here’s how you know you’re a Penn State hipster.

Your hair is purple. Or pink. Or some other inhuman color.

You carry around a Fjallraven Kanken backpack.

You unironically use a Polaroid with film that you bought at the Urban downtown.

You spend time sifting through the hundreds of books and records at Webster’s and the Music Underground.

You use pins and patches religiously.

Your wardrobe is almost exclusively from the downtown Urban Outfitters or thrifted from the local Goodwill.

Your outfits include at least one of the following: jean jacket, Doc Martens and flannel – and don’t include Penn State gear.

You get upset about the quality of the one acai bowl place downtown, which isn’t even technically an acai bowl place, but an ice cream place: Yogurt Express.

You spend a lot of time at Saint’s Cafe or Websters.

Your glasses are cool enough to wear as part of your outfit.

You get overly excited about the downtown farmers market and cry when it’s over.

You actually belong in San Fran, New York, Portland or some other hipster town.

Your makeup includes winged eyeliner and some form of matte lipstick

You have a nose piercing and/or tattoo from King Cobra, Ikonic or Evolution.

Your Instagram actually has an aesthetic that includes desaturated photos and vintage filters.

Your friends tell you you’re a hipster and you do at least 80% of these things, but you still refuse to believe it.

It goes without saying that hipsters are just different. At a school like Penn State, where everyone seems to blend into one giant mass of blue and white, there’s a few people that manage to stand out from the crowd. That’s definitely not a bad thing, though.

Unless otherwise noted, photos by Mixed Hues Photography

Penn State