Why everyone can and should study abroad

Leaving Happy Valley might actually be the best decision you make in college

When you ask the typical fresh out of college 20-something what they did during college, you’ll get a lot of answers, most of which are the same. Partied, joined some clubs, had a part-time job or an internship – so how do you make yourself stand out? The answer is, study abroad.

How can you study abroad?

Majors and the future:

Many people don’t study abroad because they think it isn’t an option for their major/career goals/track to graduation. But almost anyone can and should study abroad. There are options for all majors. Although it might not seem like going abroad will resonate with employers like several internships, that isn’t the case. Getting a broader worldview is something that is very desirable to employers. There is even research to suggest that you are more likely to get a job right out of college as well as have a higher starting salary if you study abroad. Who doesn’t want that?

The process:

And if you are worried you won’t graduate on time, don’t worry. You might think you can only study abroad for a semester or a full year, but there are shorter options over winter and summer breaks that are just as rewarding. A good place to start looking into it is global.psu.edu and there is a study abroad fair every fall in the Hub as well. Once you’re ready, the application is a fairly straightforward one. And after you get accepted, you can apply for funding from different colleges in Penn State, depending on what field your program is based in.

Big Ben

What is studying abroad like?

Decisions, decisions:

I studied abroad the summer between my sophomore and junior years at Penn State. I knew even before I entered college that studying abroad was something I wanted to do. The only question was when and with which company? As I mentioned above, there are several different times when you can study abroad. There are also different companies, like IES and CIEE, as well as faculty-led programs.

If you go with one of the companies instead of with Penn State faculty, you have to make sure you are following all the rules and regulations at your new institution abroad, as well as get the credits transferred back to Penn State at the end. The benefit of going with these companies is that you will get to experience life at a different university and truly immerse yourself in it. With faculty-led programs, you already know the rules and regulations for Penn State, and credits transfer automatically. A potential downside of them is that you are with your group most of the time, instead of making friends with students at a different university.

My experience:

I went with a faculty-led program called Literary London, open to all majors but specifically geared towards those in English or a related area. It consisted of a month in London, two 400 level three credit classes, many field trips, and a lot of fun. Before studying abroad I didn’t have many friends in the English major, but I now have several that I hang out with at least once a month. Another great thing was that by studying abroad in the summer, I was able to get ahead on my track to graduation, the complete opposite of what some people think will happen if you study abroad. And I got to travel, who doesn’t want that?

Tower of London and Tower Bridge

How do you make the decision?

If you’re still on the fence:

So we’ve been over why studying abroad isn’t as hard as you think and why I personally think you should go abroad based on my own experience. But what if you are still on the fence? Check out the website I mentioned above or go the the Education Abroad office in the Boucke building where there peer advisors and staff on hand to help you make a decision.

If you don’t feel ready to commit to a semester or a year abroad, go with the winter or summer break option. It’s cheaper and chances are, you will have just as much fun. But if you are ready to get out of State College for an extended period of time, go with the semester or year abroad.

And as for who to go with, that’s up to you, but if you feel more comfortable knowing you are still technically a Penn State student abroad, go with faculty-led. The other companies are great choices too, and you should choose them if you want to know what your life might’ve been like at a different university. Above all though, you should choose based on what is right for you. Don’t go somewhere just because a friend wants you to, and don’t stay in State College just because it’s easier.

Off the couch and onto the plane:

Maybe you’re wondering why you would want to spend your break taking classes when you could be binge-watching something on Netflix or earning money at a part-time job. The answer is that you won’t just be taking classes. You will be exploring a foreign land, meeting new people, and learning valuable skills that you can take with you to your future career. Your friends will be jealous, your family impressed, and employers intrigued. So start that application, and look forward to being able to go to an interview and proudly say that you are part of less than 10% of American college students who study abroad.

Literary London

Penn State