Snapchat v Yeti: A tale of two Campus Stories

If you want to see students going delirious while studying or events on campus, check out the Campus Story on Snapchat. If you want to see drugs and boobs, Yeti is for you, my friend

At this point almost everybody knows about Campus Stories. If you don’t, here’s a quick rundown: students (or anybody in the area) take pictures or videos on Snapchat and click the option to send it to the Campus Story so anybody in the area (or people that were in the area within 24 hours) are able to see some funny material.

Then, a mystical and unknown being chooses which submissions will be seen by all. Usually the story doesn’t go too long, especially considering University Park consists of about 40,000 students, but it gets entertaining.

However, there’s now some competition: Yeti. I had heard about the explicit app from a friend, and decided I’d download it to take a look at what secrets it holds. Not many people know about this app yet, which can be a good thing or a bad thing. When you download the app, the icon is those old-school color bars that used to be on TV when a program would stop working (throwbackkkk).

I ventured into the app to be prompted to choose my university (of course location services found I was at Penn State). The app asks for permission for both the camera and microphone. In order to start viewing these stories (or yeets) posted by users in the area, you slide left and the let the viewing begin.

Drugs.
Boobs.
Drugs.
Booty.
Alcohol.
Drugs.
Puppy.
Drugs.

That’s pretty much my first 30 seconds inside the app. People don’t hold back here and have no problem posting their bowls, tabs of acid, their girls’ asses with the caption “post smash,” naked selfies, and any other partying. And their dogs.

One thing the app has that’s convenient is in the bottom left corner it shows how many more yeets are left to view, rather than how many seconds each story is. There’s also a heart and X option at the bottom to click if you or dislike like the yeet. The one’s that receive the highest hearts go into a trending category that can be viewed separately.

Remember how I said Snapchat stories are decided by some unknown person/people? Well Yeti is monitored and managed by students, or admins. I got in touch with one admin, John Lawson, to ask him about Yeti and his thoughts on it compared to Snapchat.

I was hoping to get some insight on Yeti and to see which you prefer

“I definitely prefer Yeti over Snapchat. I just became one of the admins. It’s nothing too spectacular, pics get sent in, and they come to a separate feed for all the admins marked “campus yeti” and depending on if I give the pic a like or a dislike determines whether it goes into the actual feed.”

How come you prefer Yeti over Snapchat?

“Well I like the campus story aspect of Yeti. Compared to the campus story on Snapchat, which is stupid the majority of the time. The Yeti story is much more entertaining to watch.”

As the junior stated, it’s all based on the admins preferences in a picture. If they like it, we see it.

It’s hard to compare Snapchat and Yeti because on Snapchat the stories are censored, but on Yeti anything goes. You’re also able to view other campus’s stories, which is pretty cool. It’s a much different way to see what’s going on around you. If you’re team Yeti, just be careful what you post. Or don’t. You do you.

Below are some Penn State campus stories from both Snapchat and Yeti.

Snapchat:

Yeti:

You can clearly see the division of Penn State students between each app. Snapchat produced campus events such as Greek Sing, a British Orchestra, and an event for National Coming Out Week. Yeti showed us almost naked girls smoking, a guy trying to get chicks with his bunny, and beers and blunts. Which team do you root for, Yeti or Snapchat?

Penn State