Shut up and Dance: UO Dance Marathon dances for a cure

People danced their heart out to raise money for the Children’s Miracle Network

The annual UO Dance Marathon took place in the EMU ballroom on Saturday, bringing students and organizations together to dance for a cure. The annual event, which is put on by the University of Oregon Dance, raises money for the Children’s Miracle Network, which raises funds for children’s hospital awareness.

‘We are the student organization University of Oregon Dance but we are non-profit in the sense that all of the money we raise goes directly to our local Children’s Miracle Network, our hospital is Peacehealth Sacred Heart Medical Center at Riverbend,’ said co-executive director Samantha Bales.

The marathon lasts 10 hours, with participants on their feet dancing the whole time. While it’s easy to become tired after a while, it’s important to remember that the tiredness is temporary, and the kids that are fighting cancer have to endure even more pain on a daily basis.

‘They are supposed to be on their feet for ten hours to represent our Children Miracle Network families and the struggles that they go through each day, said co-executive director Briana Jurado.

‘If we get tired we motivate by saying these kids go through this every single day and they push through, so we can be on our feet for ten hours.’

Marathon directors Samantha Bales and Briana Jurado

The event is a year-long project, starting with fundraisers at different places and hospital visits from the executive committee.

‘We have a ton of restaurant give back nights, which goes to our fundraising goal of $50,000 this year, Jurado said.

‘We do a lot of family events so our executive team and moral captains can get to know our families and we know who we are fundraising for and know who we are fundraising for and why we need this money to help these families’

Students danced the day away with their friends while participating in a variety of different activities such as flower crown-making and karaoke. Even though the atmosphere was electric, students were most excited about coming out to support the kids.

Bruce (left) and Williams (right) have hope in bright futures for the patients

‘I came today because Dance Marathon raises money for a cause that is extremely important me,’ said participant Madeline Williams.

Participant Lauren Bruce also showed her support to help hospital patients feel like normal kids.

‘I came out to UO Dance Marathon to support kids being kids and not hospital patients,’ she said.

Allison Surber (left) and Sophie Joslyn (right) represented the Delta Delta Delta sorority while making flower crowns

Student organizations also participated by running booths with activities for dancers to enjoy.

‘TriDelta is a proud partner of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital and all of our members are dedicated to raising money to help kids everywhere. We work hard so families only have to worry about helping their kids feel better,’ said junior Sophie Joslyn.

Even though it may seem like a physical investment, the reward of making a positive impact exceeds the tiredness of the moment.

‘For me it is a little taste of the future because I hope to be more involved soon, FOR THE KIDS!’ Williams said.

For more information about the UO Dance Marathon organization, visit their Facebook page.

University of Oregon