Oregon football co-offensive coordinator fired following DUI arrest

He was arrested Sunday morning

Less than a week after adding new additions to its coaching staff, Oregon football has fired Co-Offensive Coordinator David Reaves after he was arrested for DUI early Sunday morning.

According to the Register Guard,  Eugene police reported that Reaves was pulled over around 2 a.m. Sunday morning at 10th Avenue and Willamette Street upon receiving multiple traffic violations.

Since then, the athletic department has taken immediate action.

‘Reaves has been placed on administrative leave, and the process to terminate his employment with cause has commenced,’ said Oregon athletic director Rob Mullens.

‘The University has high standards for the conduct of employees and is addressing this matter with the utmost of seriousness.’

Former Co-Offensive coordinator David Reaves. Photo courtesy of the Register Guard

Reeves was hired by head coach Willie Taggart to coach Oregon’s tight-ends after previously at South Florida in 2013 as the associate and wide receivers coach. His termination, along with the injury of three of Oregon’s players this past winter is the second large incident that has been an obstacle for the Ducks.

In the midst of all the controversy, Coach Taggart is currently focused on choosing the right people to help rebuild the team. He explained that the safety of his players is the first priority for him and his entire staff.

“I’ve got to get guys in here that are going to look out for my players. It’s really, really important to me that we get great mentors in here,” Taggert said.

The university will end Reaves’ two-year contract with an annual salary of $300,000 a year, and questions have been raised about whether someone will take his place as one of the co-offensive coordinators, the position in which he was going to share with Mario Cristobal.

Coach Taggart has yet to announce his next steps.

University of Oregon