Everything that happened at the Woman’s March in Eugene

‘Because change happens in numbers and everybody counts’

Over 6,000 people from cities in Oregon gathered to take part in the national Woman’s March in downtown Eugene on Saturday afternoon. The march comes in light of the inauguration of Donald Trump as America’s next president, and participants outwardly voiced their detest for the newly elected  Trump, who they feel does not represent the whole demographic of America and its diversity.

Despite the rainy weather, thousands of people gathered at Eugene’s US Federal District Court to hold the Eugene Women’s March. Many people came to stand in solidarity along with millions of others globally who are marching on this day for women’s rights.

People stood outside in the rain to listen to the speakers at the march

The  Facebook event was described as an ‘INCLUSIVE march, and EVERYONE who supports women’s rights is welcome.’ Although many people came on behalf of women rights, many signs and people showed support for the rights of minorities such as people of color, LGBTQ+, people with disabilities, Native and Indigenous people and many other groups.

Thousands marched on the streets of Eugene to show their support

The event began with an hour of speeches before the actual march from the Federal Court into downtown Eugene began. Once the crowd started moving people began chanting, ‘Show me what democracy looks like. This is what democracy looks like’ and ‘Donald Trump has got to go.’

In addition, people donned pink “pussyhats” and held signs saying things such as: “Love not hate”, “Women rise up, raise hell and change the world”, “Fierce Feminist” and “Humanity Matters”.

“Love not Hate”: An example of some of the signs that were held at the rally

Why is marching important to you?

With the event supporting a diverse group of people, we asked people what the march means to them:

Iris Rain

Iris (second from left) with a group of women in “pussyhats”

I am marching not only for women but for all people who feel they are not heard under the new president. I am marching for people of color, for native rights, for women’s rights, for reproductive rights. I want to grow up and have a woman president, a black president, a mexican president. I just don’t like Donald Trump. I think everybody deserves respect–the respect that a lot of white people get in government and I want everyone to be equal.’

Her response on the hats they were wearing: ‘My grandma (Sue Ashton) made them, they are pussyhats. They are fighting back against the pussy grabber in charge–that pussies grab back. We aren’t objects, we are people and we have the same rights as everybody else.’

Rachel Elkins, Senior, English and Cinema Studies

‘[Women’s March] means I get to get together with all my friends and all the people in my community to make a statement that we are not going to be silenced and that we are all very strong individuals with voices even though the people that elected our president probably don’t agree with that’

‘I think it is super important for everyone to know that you are not alone and that there are so many people like you and there are so many people who want to help you, and it doesn’t always feel like that. Having events like this where everyone can gather together as one is really beautiful.’

Liana Phillips, Freshman, Human Physiology

‘It is sort of the right of using all lives matter–women matter and women’s rights matter so having everyone join to say that is saying all lives matter because women are being oppress, in this moment, more than men.’

‘This is something that is our future and it is the only time something like this will happen in our life time–hopefully the only time it will have to. Because change happens in numbers everybody counts.’

Anne Delani and Rudy Berg

Anne Delani (Center) and Rudy Berg (right) show their flags at the March on Saturday

Rudy: ‘Women’s March is important to me because I think women’s situation in our society requires a lot of improvement. I think women have a lot of disadvantages. Plus, they are a resource for the world in general that are undervalued and underutilized. I think having them as full partners in every respect is really important.’

Anne: ‘This march is important to me because I am a woman, but also because we are trying to send a message to the person who just entered the white house, that we do not agree with his policies especially toward women, minorities, etc.’

Mike Wier

‘I think it is important to be here that I express our resistance to what is going on.’

People have been using the hashtag #WomensMarchOnWashington on social media to express their support and that no matter your situation, you’re never alone.

University of Oregon