Student-run campaign promotes respect and equality

The golden rule has a new twist on the UO Campus

Oregon students have a new campaign to follow at the start of the winter quarter. In regards to the events that occurred on local and national levels during fall term, a group of advertising students started a pledge called “Reset the Code”, an initiative calling for the renewal of respect and kindness on Oregon’s campus.

The campaign is putting a twist on the Golden Rule, treating others the way you want to be treated. Starting last week, students and faculty have been wearing black and white badges with the number 95 followed by an underscore. The logo can be seen all around campus from pins and flyers to poster by the EMU.

The initiative also comes with a code, which reads:

“I pledge to abide by mutual respect and reject complacency in the presence of fear and hate.”

The idea was originated by students in the journalism school who came up with a symbol that connects all UO students to remind everyone of their importance and equality. The symbol generates from each student having their own ID number that begins with the numbers 9 and 5, and the numbers after that are different to set each person apart from another.

According to KVAL, Allen Hall Advertising campaign creator Tylynn Burns explained, “Even though we’re different and we have different backgrounds, I’m here for you. We’re all the same, and we need to move forward as a community.”

The campaign also has its own Snapchat filter to spread awareness on campus

The official “Reset Day” for students to attend will be on Friday, January 20 in front of the EMU. All students and faculty are welcome to help start off the new year with a positive kick.

Students and faculty can sign the online pledge at ResettheCode.com

University of Oregon