Three UO football players hospitalized following conditioning workouts

The workouts were described as “grueling” and resulted in at least one rhabdomyolysis diagnosis

Three Oregon football players were hospitalized this weekend following a series of workouts that occurred after the team’s return from winter break.

According to OregonLive.com, offensive linemen senior Doug Brenner and freshman Sam Poutasi in addition to freshman tight end Cam McCormick were all hospitalized after intense workouts. All three players were taken to PeaceHealth Sacred Heart Medical Center at Riverbend in Springfield, where they were listed as being in “fair condition.” Poutasi was at least one of the players diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis, a potentially kidney damaging syndrome that involves muscle tissue breaking down and leaking into the body’s blood stream.

The University of Oregon’s athletic department released the following statement in regard to the situation:

“The safety and welfare of all of our student-athletes is paramount in all that we do. While we cannot comment on the health of our individual students, we have implemented modifications as we transition back into full training to prevent further occurrences.”

The department concluded by thanking the medics and trainers for their support towards their teammates.

The hospitalization comes after the hiring of new head coach Willie Taggart, the former head coach of Southern Florida University, last month. Although Taggart didn’t release a specific statement following the incident, he was reported to have visited Sacred Heart at Riverbend to visit the players before leaving the state on a recruiting job.

Despite initial controversy surrounding the incident, players continued to finish the set workouts into this week. There was some discrepancy with the severity of the workouts, as some players noticed a discoloration in their urine, a typical symptom of rhabdomyolysis, and others such as cornerback Ugochukwu Amadi claiming on social media that “the workout was not even what the media is portraying it to be.”

The strength coach was suspended after three players were hospitalized this weekend

More to follow.

University of Oregon