Former UO law student sues for alleged disability discrimination

He was also placed on temporary suspension

A former University of Oregon law student is suing the school for what he describes as discriminating against his learning disability in the fall of 2015. According to court records, Ehvan Schectman sued the school on Nov. 10.

According to the Daily Emerald, Schectman is suing for an unspecified amount in damages and emotional distress that he claims to have suffered as a result of the law school failing to accommodate him. Additionally, Schectman states that he wasn’t given the proper accommodations for his disabilities, and that he was given an unfair disadvantage compared to other students.

Schectman sued the law school November 10. Photo courtesy of Facebook

In November 2015, Schectman then took to Facebook to express his frustrations, using langaue he describes as “slang typically used when communicating with his similarly-aged friends online.” It was perceived as inflammatory by the school who documented it and issued an emergency suspension handed down from student conduct director Sandy Weintraub. The post was removed but the sanction stuck. The emergency suspension is mentioned in the lawsuit.

The suit also stated that Schectman allegedly received this email from Weintraub:

‘I am placing you on temporary suspension beginning immediately (11/18/15) because of a message that you posted on public social media that was reasonably viewed as a threat to students and staff at the University of Oregon.’

Schectman is represented by his father’s law office. The university said the lawsuit would be handled through “appropriate channels.”

University of Oregon