UO campus shut down after consistent low temperatures

The university called the conditions dangerous

Winter conditions continue to impact Eugene and Oregon’s campus has closed down due to the cold conditions.

Students received a series of alerts from the university starting last Wednesday when there were reported tree hazards on campus, and the university said, “Caution tape is being placed in areas of concern. Please DO NOT REMOVE caution tape and AVOID the areas that have been blocked off.”

Ice, ice baby

December 15: The cold temperatures continued into Thursday December 15, where Law students were told not to report to their final exams. However, for those who were required to be on campus such as weather maintenance crews, were extreme caution was advised. Another announcement was issued later that day stating that:

“Winter weather continues to make for dangerous conditions on campus and throughout the Eugene Springfield area.
Personnel responsible for responding to inclement weather and related cleanup under the university’s closure policy are expected to report to work, provided they can do so safely.”

It was later announced via the university website that the campus would remain closed for the evening.

Staff were instructed not to report to work on Friday due to cold and icy conditions

December 16: The campus remained closed and all events were cancelled except for Law school exams. The website also said, “Employees working evening and night shifts should not report to work.” The school remained closed for the second straight evening.

It’s beginning to look a lot like… ice

As the winter season continues, students and staff should take extra care when spending outside. Stay warm, everyone.

University of Oregon