A definitive list of the easiest Winter classes at UO

Beat the chill and take these awesome classes

Fall term is coming to a close, which means students are registering for winter term classes. Winter in Oregon is cold and rainy, and some people say it’s a good time to take a load of credits while you’re stuck inside avoiding the cold days. Given the wet and rainy days, some students opt for harder courses while they have time to concentrate, others look for an easier load so they can relax.

Here are some suggested courses that students recommend taking while not making themselves too crazy with 1 being the easiest and 10 being the most difficult:

J101: Grammar

Her slides make 9 am’s just a tad better

Professor: Leigh Ann Jasheway

Jasheway teaches this class in a unique way: She hula hoops in class and continuously tells everyone she is a professional comedian. Her powerpoint presentations are filled with funny memes that help you understand the lecture better.

Level of Difficulty on a scale of 1-10: A 6 if you have forgotten all of your basic grammar skills from high school.

Requirements it fulfills: The Journalism Pre-requirement, and it counts as an elective.

SOC 204: Intro to Sociology

Good ‘ole Sociology

Professor: Michael Dreiling

Why it’s a good class to take: You learn a lot of material that is applicable to real life. The information presented relates well to college students.

Level of difficulty on a scale of 1-10: 4. It’s pretty easy to understand the concepts because they’re easily visible in real life but you have to work to memorize a few things, such as names of sociologists.

Requirements it fulfills: It fulfills your Social Science and elective requirements.

PEF 221: Crossfit I

So. Many. Blisters

Professor: J. Blackburn

If you like physical movement, this class is for you: You learn basic cross-training movements. You get a good workout in without doing the same things over because there is variety.

Level of Difficulty on a scale of 1-10: 3. It’s not academically hard, but somewhat physically demanding. You work on your strength and agility skills.

Requirements it fulfills: Counts as an elective.

LING 211: Languages of the World

Cultured 101

Professor: Eric Pederson

You get to learn interesting fun facts: Did you know that there is an Aboriginal language in Australia called the Mother-in-Law language? It is only spoken specifically to mother-in-laws.

Level of Difficulty on a scale of 1-10: 8. There is not a huge workload, but the tests are very thought provoking so it would be wise to study for them.

Requirements fulfilled: Fulfills the elective, Social Science and International Cultures requirements.

MUS 265: Rock History

Rock on man: take Music 265

Professor: Larry Wayte

The real question here is who wouldn’t want to learn about Rock and Roll history for a class? You get to learn about the different eras of Rock and learn from a professor who can play multiple instruments.

Level of Difficulty on a scale of 1-10: 5. As long as you take notes and pay attention in class, you will definitely get a lot out of this class.

Requirements fulfilled: Fulfills Music Major requirement

ENG 208: Shakespeare

Professor: Forest Pyle

Why this class is intellectually stimulating and entertaining: You get to read the last five of Shakespeare’s plays. The professor asks the students to stage their own versions of scenes of the plays and cast celebrities as characters.

Level of Difficulty on a scale of 1-10: 4. You should read the plays to understand them better. As long as you follow along with the plots and understand the characters’ motives, you will do relatively well.

ENVS 201: Introduction to Environmental Law

Lightbulb! Totally taking this class

Professor: Mary Wood

Why you should give Environmental Studies a chance: You learn about environmental policies that apply to current events. You also get to participate in a group project in which you pick something that you would change on campus to be more sustainable. You learn how to engage with government administration.

Bonus: The textbooks for this class are cheap!

Level of Difficulty on a scale of 1-10: 3. There are many guest lectures by professional lawyers and environmental activists. To top it off, you are taught by a very open-minded professor.

Requirements it fulfills: Social Science, elective and 104 non-journalism credit requirements

Computer and Information Sciences 110: Fluency with Information and Technology

Computers 101

Professor: Phil Colbert

Why you should consider a class about technology: You get to learn the basics of coding HTML and CSS etc. You also learn how to develop a website, allowing you to exercise your creative freedom.

Level of difficulty on a scale of 1-10: 4. As long as you show up and do the work, you’re pretty solid.

Requirements it fulfills: Fulfills a Science credit

J350: Principles of Public Relations

Like the textbooks, THINK about taking this class

Professor: Connie Chandler

How this class makes you come out of your comfort zone: You work on a Press Conference in a group. You learn the basic components of Public Relations in a straightforward manner.

Level of Difficulty on a scale of 1-10: 5. The professor is very helpful when directing your group what to do. You just need to make sure to pay attention in class.

Requirements it fulfills: Journalism requirement for the Public Relations major

ASTR 123: Galaxy and Expand Universe

Shoot for the stars!

Professor: Spencer Chang

Why should I learn about outer space? The material is detailed, but there are no quizzes or exams. All you need to do is show up to lectures, answer i-clicker questions for credit and do the homework.

Level of Difficulty on  a scale of 1-10: 5. As long as you do the work and do what the professor says in class, you shouldn’t have a problem in the class at all.

Requirements it fulfills: Fulfills the science requirement

Students have a plethora of classes to choose from and while it’s important to take required courses, make sure you find some fun ones, too.

University of Oregon