Let’s be honest, Oregon is probably the best football team in the world

Like it says, win the day

Oregon is known for its athletic presence and our wide fan base only makes it a stronger program. While the school is known for its presence on the track and basketball court, football is just as a big of a tradition. With thousands of people flooding to Autzen Stadium just in time to view one of the country’s top ranked teams, it’s hard to not get swept up in the fandom.

So why are students and fans so passionate? Maybe because it’s the best program in the country, here’s why:

Duck Pride

Even for the spring game, student pride happens year round

On game days there’s nothing like seeing people decked out in green and yellow. People make the pilgrimage to Autzen stadium via the footbridge and while on that journey celebrate their beloved team. Fans from Portland and other Oregon areas come down to watch a game, and to be part of the electric atmosphere. Make sure you’re ready to yell “GO DUCKS!” And the pride lasts all year long, too. The spring football scrimmage attracts just as many fans as a regular season game. Who says fandom has an expiration date?

The River Walk

The nature backdrop is one of the best in the country

Since Autzen is located off campus, one of the most popular ways to make it to the game is by the footbridge over the Willamette river. Forget the brick building next store, the river gives off a peaceful feeling onto some of Oregon’s best views. Walk quickly or stay to linger, this one of the most photogenic places.

Tailgating

Tailgating is an event for students and visitors who come to celebrate the duck culture

Game day is an event on campus, and is the perfect time for people to break out their barbecues and coolers to celebrate the coming victory. It’s also kid-friendly: some tents also have games and places to win prizes. But the best part, you never know who may appear on campus to celebrate the ducks. From club guest speakers to notable duck alumni, tailgating is the pace to be seen.

Nike Uniforms

Nike, whose is headquarters is in Oregon, outfits the team nearly every week

The ducks are known for throwing touchdowns in style. Nike outfits the team with a new design each year, each more high tech than the package before it. Sleek and shiny, the Oregon-based company keeps it coming with new gear around every corner, which is also known for providing the ultimate fan gear as well.

Autzen Stadium

The atmosphere makes it hard to hear each other

Ask any fan and they’ll dub it the best football stadium in the country. The roaring speakers and the unbeatable student section made up of the ‘Pit Crew’ help lead the crowd in the singing of Mighty Oregon. Not to mention the familiar sound of ‘Coming Home’ by country singer Matt Kearney, an Oregon native. The voices unite in unison while cheering on a rushing touchdown or during an ode to our great state- and you can hear ever one of them.

Win the Day

Coined by former coach Chip Kelly, the school has adopted it as its slogan

Sleek uniforms are not the only thing that makes Oregon iconic. First made by former football coach Chip Kelly, Oregon has put ‘Win the Day’ as its mantra towards everything it does from sports to academics. The programs always aim to push forward to be the best in the country, and this mantra suggests nothing less.

The Duck

He’s multi -talented, and is known for doing pushups

The best mascot in college athletics is part of the Oregon athletics tradition. He is a mascot of all trades from pre-game motorcycle rides to pushups after each touchdown, he loves to interact with the crowd and can be seen at almost any and every sporting event on campus. He is always happy to greet students and fans, and is the epitome of the Oregon spirit.

From loud cheers to shiny new uniforms, Oregon has the best football program in the country. Watching on TV is one thing but experiencing it is another; there’s pure magic everywhere you go.

University of Oregon