Valentine’s Day reads that will have you feeling the love

Falling in love with words is never a bad idea

At this time every year, society begins to split into two classes: those in a relationship and those who are single. With Valentine’s Day quickly approaching, you may or may not have a date and you may or may not care. Either way, here are some books about romance that will fill your heart with love, whether you can currently relate to the characters or are living vicariously through them, and, most importantly, will help you celebrate your loving relationship with literature.

Check out this new special edition of Eleanor & Park, featuring full-color fan art and a Q&A. The cover is a soft gray-white. Very similar to the blue Barnes & Noble special edition, but this one is available at indie bookstores and online retailers.

A photo posted by Rainbow Rowell (@rainbowrowell) on Nov 3, 2016 at 2:08pm PDT

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Even though this book is set in 1986, Eleanor and Park’s love story will resonate with any generation. No matter how many relationships you have been in, experiencing first love through the eyes of these high schoolers will bring you back to all the wonderful memories of you have had with a significant other and will leave you feeling warm and fuzzy inside.

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

You can never go wrong with a classic, and in the case of a love story, Anna Karenina will intrigue you until the very last page. Love is interweaved in every character and subplot of the novel building up to the main triage of Anna, Vronksy, and Karenin. Anna Karenina has the basic idea of “something so wrong feeling so right” without the graphic imagery one might find in the contemporary, post-modern world of literature. The best part, though, is that with Tolstoy’s language, you will not only feel love as a plot device – you will quickly fall in love with the actual text itself.

The Fault in Our Stars was published four years ago today. Thanks to everyone who read it back on January 10, 2012–and everyone who has read it since. From sharing the book with friends to fanfiction to reading with care and generosity, you've given so much to the story of Hazel and Gus. I can't thank you enough. (Regram from @capturetheshelves)

A photo posted by John Green (@johngreenwritesbooks) on Jan 10, 2016 at 1:46pm PST

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Whether you read The Fault in Our Stars when it was hot off the press or are experiencing it for the first time, the beautiful relationship between Hazel and Gus will have you thinking, “GOALS,” as you turn each page. Despite cancer’s threat of putting a limit on their time together, the two teens pursue their love anyway. Reading their story will remind you of the power of love and inspire you to take the chance, love deeply, and be grateful for every moment you spend with another person.

'Attachments' in Indonesian! @penerbitspring gave me a really cute cover for Fangirl, too.

A photo posted by Rainbow Rowell (@rainbowrowell) on Feb 5, 2016 at 11:15am PST

Attachments by Rainbow Rowell

Lincoln O’Neill has a new job: monitoring other people’s emails from a newsroom. He comes across very personal emails between Beth Fremont and Jennifer Scribner-Snyder and as he digs deeper into their correspondence, learning more about each of them by the message, he develops feelings for Beth. But how would he introduce himself — as the guy who is reading her emails? While I would not recommend reading your crush’s emails to try to win them over, I would recommend this book if you’re not into the typical “love story,” and, like Rowell’s Eleanor & Park, Lincoln and Beth’s story will also leave you with a warm, fuzzy feeling by its end.

Sonnets from the Portuguese by Elizabeth Barrett Browning

All you poetry lovers out there – this one is for you. Sonnets from the Portuguese is a collection of 44 love poems that Barrett Browning wrote for her husband, Robert Browning (talk about goals!). These poems are ideal to read aloud as Barrett Browning’s use of figurative language and beautiful diction will allow her lines to roll off of your tongue and into the heart of your audience (perfect for a significant other!). But even if you’re keeping to yourself this Valentine’s Day, this collection is so beautiful that it is a perfect read for a night wrapped in a cozy blanket with a warm cup of hot cocoa.

Whether your book of choice is your date for Valentine’s Day or your third-wheel, words are a wonderful way to celebrate the love in your life and these reads will surely fill your heart for many days to come.

Ohio State Hide Images