Columbus reacts to Trump’s presidency: An inside look at the rally for the 99 percent

“There has never been a better time to fight back against oppression”

Last week a crowd of peaceful protestors participated in a rally at the Ohio Statehouse to voice their concerns about Donald Trump’s presidency. After the success of the nationwide Women’s March, many cities across the United States followed suit, organizing their own rallies and marches in resistance to recent changes made by the president. We spoke to a few people who attended the rally about why they were participating and what they hope to change.

Roughly how many people do you think attended the rally?

Corey: I would estimate that 2,000 – 3,000 people came out for the rally, which absolutely blew my mind. When my friend and I first posted on the event page we had no clue that it would gain as much momentum as it did. We expected 100 – 250 people, so it was a very pleasant surprise.

Jenny: According to the rally Facebook page, 3,000 people said they were attending. Reports I read afterwards said somewhere between 2,000 and 3,000 people.

Can you describe what kind of atmosphere you experienced?

Corey:  The atmosphere was definitely very positive, but you could feel the tension in the air. When people came out, they brought a lot of energy and anger. We’re all kind of in this boat together, so those feelings really bubbled up within a crowd of that size.

Jenny: It was a very empowering atmosphere—it felt hopeful to me. So many people turned out, so many willing to come out on a cold Monday night and stand up for what they thought was right, what they believed in—that felt very positive and encouraging.

Why did you choose to march?

Corey: I chose to march because I find it painful to watch my Muslim comrades face such awful discrimination, I chose to march because the United States has an obligation to give refugees adequate shelter after destabilizing the entire Middle East, I chose to march because we live in a broken capitalistic system that prioritizes profit over people, I chose to march because I stand in solidarity with the water protectors and Native Americans in North Dakota.

Jenny: I grew up in the 60s. Peaceful protests definitely impacted the course of history—in so many areas –women’s rights, civil rights, the environment. We have come so far, but still so much work to be done, and now this new administration threatens to destroy all that we hold dear. That is why I march. I believe in democracy, freedom of speech, and equal rights for all people.

How would you suggest that people who are interested in making a difference get a start? Are there any groups for these marches/rallies specific to Columbus?

Corey: I’m a brand new member of Socialist Alternative, and I would highly suggest checking it out. We have committed to resisting Donald Trump and every policy he implements that goes against the will of the people. In Socialist Alternative, we are calling for a brand new party that truly represents the 99 percent.

Jenny: Those wanting to make a difference—I would say read, read everything you can. Read about history and current events. Talk to others about what you know and observe. Write letters and make phone calls to your representatives. March in a rally or attend a meeting. VOTE—for god’s sake, educate yourself and VOTE. Pick something you care about and fight for it.

In what ways do you hope the rally will effect what’s going on in the current political situation of the US?

Corey: Things are very hard for us all, and the optimism that comes with having a system that is not racist, welcomes all immigrants/refugees, and supports the working class could give us something to fight back against to ensure that we don’t have anymore Trump’s leading our country.

Jenny: I hope that the protests will gain momentum and will have the effect of keeping people’s attention on what is going on, so that Trump and company can be stopped before they destroy our country, our land, our democracy and take away all of our rights.

What would you like to say to those who don’t agree with peaceful protests as a way to exercise freedom of speech?

Corey: I would recommend that they come out before condemning. It’s easy to sit at home in front of a screen and pass judgement, but until you are out in the streets with us – you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Jenny: Our first amendment rights are one of the things that make this country so special. Our country was founded on the tradition of standing up for what you believe in and speaking out. As the one of the protest chants goes, “Tell me what democracy looks like—this is what democracy looks like!”

Historically, peaceful protest has been a vehicle for change throughout the United States and the world. Find something you care about and stand up for it.

(Photo Credit: Jenny Riegler)

Ohio State