Buckeye’s bid 2016 adieu

Seasons pass, the years will roll

Together we have survived both a slew of heartbreaking tragedies and an innumerable amount of monumental triumphs – from mourning the loss of our beloved Afro-Duck to cheering on the Buckeye’s all the way to Arizona. As we bid 2016 farewell, let’s recap the year and the life of a Buckeye.

I hope you had the time of your life

On Sunday, May 8, 2016, 11,235 students walked across the stage in Ohio Stadium to receive their diploma and became Ohio State alumnae, making this the largest class to ever graduate from The Ohio State University.

Hillary Clinton’s Oval office

Hillary Clinton drew a crowd of over 18,500 to the South Oval on Monday, Oct. 10th where she spoke, encouraging students and the city of Columbus to “Get Out the Early Vote.” Early voting started on October 12th and more than 62,000 flocked the Franklin County Board of Elections to cast their ballot in the historical election.

He shoots . . .

And he scores . . . guaranteeing everyone in attendance a perfect score on their first Organic Chemistry quiz. In the words of Huffington Post, Vinny Forte became a “back-to-school hero”. Unfortunately the professor decided that the students still had to take the quiz, but that it would be based solely off of participation.

#FTK

Last February, BuckeyeThon, the largest student-run philanthropy at Ohio State, raised over $1.3M to support the kids treated at Nationwide Children’s Hospital.

You should try out for the football team, kid

On Nov. 14th, an anti-Trump protester was tackled while delivering a speech in the Union. However, the protester worked to drop the charges, as he did not believe the incident was politically motivated.

Buckeye wrestler wins Olympic gold medal

At age 20, Kyle Snyder became the youngest World champion in U.S. wrestling history after leaving the 2016 Rio Olympics, gold medal in hand. Over the course of twelve months, Snyder achieved the unthinkable by winning a World title, NCAA title, and Olympic gold.

Congratulations, you’re a grandpa!

On Sunday, Dec. 4th, Urban Myer received two huge pieces of news. Despite Ohio State’s slip from second to third in the final College Football Playoff rankings, the Buckeyes are slated to take on No.2 Clemson in the semifinal at the Fiesta Bowl on New Year’s Eve in Glendale, Arizona. Coach Urban Myer said, “I watched the selection show from the fifth floor maternity ward of Riverside Hospital,” where he welcomed his first grandchild and daughter Nicki’s son, Troy, into the world.

RIP Mirror Lake (& Mirror Lake Creamery)

Mirror Lake drainage and planned renovations began in early October, thwarting students from jumping into the lake, a Beat ❌ichigan week tradition. However, OSU spokesman Chris Davey said, The intention of the redevelopment . . . is not . . . to stop the Mirror Lake jump, even if the timing of the construction accomplishe[d] that goal.”

#BuckeyeStrong

On November 28, 2016, a student intentionally rammed a car into pedestrians on a busy sidewalk in front of Watts Hall. The attacker began slashing passers-by with a butcher knife, injuring 11 students, faculty, and staff members. A university police officer fatally shot the suspect, dissolving the situation within a minute of the attack.

Ohio Against the World

The battle lived up to the pregame hype. Curtis Samuel raced 15-yards for the game winning touchdown in double-0vertime as the Ohio State Buckeyes rallied to beat the ❌ichigan Wolverines 30-27 on Saturday, Nov. 26, 2016 in Columbus.

Here’s to another year in the books. O-H!

Ohio State