This NYU senior created a start-up that promotes undiscovered artists

‘We want to create an Airbnb platform for artist-booking’

Chika Ogele is only 21 and already a full-fledged entrepreneur and businessman. Within seconds of meeting him, the Stern senior exudes passion and authenticity with his down-to-earth attitude. He already has a job lined up at Goldman Sachs after graduation, but just five months ago the music connoisseur also launched his own start-up.

ComeUp is an artist-discovery and booking platform that promotes hip-hop, R&B and rap artists on the come up. Though the website is still in the works, ComeUp: Realize the Rise Concert on Thursday, April 27th will be Chika and his team’s first event, hosted at the renowned Highline Ballroom.

He had just finished shooting studio interviews with Highclass Hoodlums and Mari, two of the first-time headliners who will be performing at the West Village venue, when I sat down with Chika on Saturday. We talked about starting his own business, the future of streaming, and the relationship between music and the human soul.

You’re the founder and CEO of your own start-up, ComeUp. What is it?

ComeUp is a platform that helps talented, undiscovered artists—emphasis on talented—by providing them with exposure and opportunities they wouldn’t be able to have by themselves. We’re having a concert at the Highline Ballroom this coming Thursday, April 27th.

You’re already promoting artists by sharing their music on your Facebook page, but you’re also working on a online platform for artist and venue-booking. How would that work?

We find artists, artists find us. They submit their music to us. We evaluate it. If we think it’s really good, we post it up on our Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and we just got an Instagram. In the future, we want to create an Airbnb platform for artist-booking, where venues can seek out artists and vice-versa. But we would almost want a résumé of you. We want to make sure that you take your craft seriously.

You mentioned the ComeUp: Realize the Rise Concert that will be taking place at the Highline Ballroom this coming Thursday, April 27th. Tell me about the event. What can we expect?

This concert is going to be phenomenal. Locking down the venue was definitely an uphill battle, because it’s very easy for a venue to say no to us. We’re college students with no prior experience of actually hosting a concert. When I told them I could bring a certain number of people, they were just like: “Can you though?”

It’s these artists’ first time headlining at a notable venue, so they’re bringing their A-game and above that. There will be an entire live band and crazy visuals going on in the background. When the bass drops, you will feel it in your soul. People are gonna catch on to punchlines and be in shock and awe from what they just heard.

The Come Up: Realize the Rise Concert flyer designed by Chika’s team.

Your platform curated and chose three artists to perform. You selected them with your team?

Yes, they were vetted.

Who can attend the concert?

Anyone can attend, it’s open to the public. But I have a little preference for NYU students. It’d be cool if we could fill the place with NYU students.

Do you think that the concert will be picked up by music publications?

For sure. The artists are trying to bring press and blogs. I can’t say which publications are going to be there exactly, but they’re getting complimentary tickets and press passes. For us, this is important as well. If we pull this off, it gives us the foundation to go forward and pitch a product to other venues with serious credibility.

What makes ComeUp unique? What differentiates it from other offerings out there for up-and-coming artists who are seeking discovery?

I consider myself a social entrepreneur at heart. I’m very focused on helping people who are naturally disadvantaged and have a passion. Music is what you want to do for the rest of your life, but things are just stacked up against you, and you can’t do that. Of course we’re here to run a business, but we’re really out here to help the artist. Artists pick that up when they meet us.

Our platform will be for the local artist who can’t afford an agent yet. They could go onto our platform and book gigs by themselves. It saves you a lot of time. You don’t have to go through the stress and bureaucracy. Take away 20 of the middlemen and speak directly with the venue. Everything is quick, easy and simple, just like Airbnb or LinkedIn.

Who else is working on this project with you?

I have a team. Co-founders include my friends Elijah Adderley and Shianne Smalling. They’re both Sternies, in Marketing. Elijah is more of the COO/relations guy. Shianne is our Chief Marketing Officer. She handles our social media posts, branding, and how we want to be perceived by the public. We also have my friend Rachna who supports with Marketing. Aisha helps out with graphics. She made our logo and posters.

ComeUp x Mari

After watching this interview with Mari, there will be no doubt in your mind that this man is on the rise! Check out this video directed by Tom Ishizuka , and see Mari in concert THIS THURSDAY at the ComeUp: Realize the Rise Concert!

Posted by ComeUp on Monday, April 24, 2017

Watch Chika’s interview with Chicago-born rapper/singer/producer Mari, one of the event headliners.

What drove you to create the platform? Did you have a particular moment when this idea sprouted in your mind?

Quick long story. I’ve always been the type of kid that had a bunch of ideas. Stupid, ridiculous, practical, everything in-between. I’d always go to my dad and I would ask him: “Hey, what about this?” And my dad was so straight-forward, he would kill my dreams. He’d be like: “No, that’s stupid.”

I remember I pitched him ComeUp in my sophomore year of high school, and he made me push to work towards it. But even before that, I remember listening to the radio. All I would hear was Lil Wayne, followed by Lil Wayne, followed by Drake, followed by Jay-Z, followed by A$AP Rocky. But I was also listening to mixtape J. Cole and Chance the Rapper. And I was just like, where are these people on the radio? Why don’t they get any attention or buzz like they should? I realized that there’s a huge supply of really talented artists who don’t get their shine just yet, whether it’s connections or not being able to work on their music full-time. I wanted to create something to help people get a sustainable career in music.

ComeUp uses a customized player similar to that of RapNation to promote up-and-coming artists.

With the sheer amount of artists constantly putting out music all over the Internet, there is music everywhere today. Because we’ve seen technological and digital changes, anyone can make music. What’s your take on the future of the industry?

I think the fact that the barriers to entry into the music field are lower is amazing, even though it makes my life harder because there can be a lot of trash out there. But there’s a kid who wouldn’t have been able to make music fifteen years ago who can now, because he has a laptop and illegally downloaded Logic Pro. But it’s also difficult for him to stand out and break out of the stereotype of the SoundCloud rapper. Everyone thinks they’re a rapper. Everyone thinks that they can put rhymes together and rap, regardless of flow and rhyme schemes.

ComeUp places the focus on live music. What about our generation makes live performance an essential component of the music industry?

Music is free. I can go listen to Kendrick Lamar’s album right now through my friend’s Spotify account, and that’s what everyone can do. Where the average music listener’s money is going these days, is concerts. It makes sense to jump on live performance versus the streaming game right now. Because who knows we’ll even be streaming music 10 years from now? It sounds crazy, but you really never know. We went from downloading music bought on iTunes to streaming, which is killing everything else. Who knows what could come afterward.

So why do you think people still go to concerts?

People want a differentiated experience. Millennials and especially Generation Z, we’re all about the experiences. We live a lot on our phones, we live a lot on social media, we listen to music digitally, but we place value on the real-life experiences that no one else can say that they had.

Chika Ogele photographed by Juliette Maigné

You’re passionate about music. What does that passion mean to you? I guess I’m asking, what does music mean to you?

Give me a second. Wow, only corny things are coming to mind.

Corny things are fine.

Music and poetry, and creative writing in general, is a way to communicate things that are complex, that you can’t say. Or you can say in words, but it won’t hit you the same way. Have you ever heard Alright by Kendrick Lamar? In words, anyone can explain police brutality and racism. But the statement that is made through Kendrick Lamar’s Alright really hits your soul. You get twenty different meanings from that song you would have to get an hour-long TedTalk about. It’s about empowerment, it’s about surviving, it’s about being able to relate, it’s about unity, and all of this is done in a three-minute song.

I’m passionate about music because I understand how powerful and inspirational and culture-shifting music can be. It’s crazy that some people don’t even get a chance to be heard.

Humans love music. I don’t know what a human life without music would look like.

Sad! People would be very confused about their emotions and thoughts if music didn’t exist. Music has to exist in some way, shape or form. Even like tapping. As long as it’s rhythmic.

Name an artist you would’ve loved to see perform at a ComeUp event before they got big.

This guy named Rich Chigga. He’s this 17 year-old kid from Indonesia. He rocks a pink polo, khaki shorts, and a fanny pack. This man has bars and he has the deepest voice. It doesn’t even make sense how this voice comes out of this small Asian guy. His experiences are going to be so freaking different from other artists.

You make him sound like a character.

He is a character. He’s not real.

Are there plans to expand out of New York City into other cities and hubs for underground music?

Most definitely. As of right now, we accept music from everywhere. We’ll push your music if we like it. In terms of venues and opportunities, we’re totally local, just in New York City. But we’d love to expand to Cali, Chicago, Houston, Atlanta, Miami…

I’m assuming you don’t have physical headquarters yet. What does a typical meeting with your team look like?

We usually meet up in Stern and find an open room. Everyone comes in. Some people come a little late. We roast everyone that comes in late. We ease into it. We listen to some of the music that people have submitted, critique it, decide whether we want to follow up with them or not. Then we get down to business. Most of the time, I have an agenda. Afterwards we all hang out and get food. We’re all friends.

Is there anything else you would like people to know?

Bring all your friends and you’re gonna find your next favorite artist in the course of the four-hour-long concert. It’s gonna be banger after banger. Come out.

ComeUp: Realize the Rise at the Highline Ballroom, Thursday, April 27th 8pm to 12am. Doors open at 8pm. 18+ / 21 to drink. Cop your tickets here.

NYU