How to stay sane in the current political climate

It’s not easy, but it has to be done

It’s barely three weeks into the new administration and I’m already exhausted.  Protests, rallies, meetings, arguments– with everything going on, it feels like I’m going to burn out before the first month is up.  If you’re in the same boat, here’s how to stay sane and functional among all the chaos.

Meditate

Before going to bed, after waking up, in the middle of the day– take five minutes to focus entirely on emptying your mind. It forces you out of the zone of outrage and gives your emotions a break, something they desperately need.  Don’t knock it ’til you try it.

Read something other than the news before going to bed

Getting riled up by reading about the latest updates on Cabinet appointments or the travel ban does not make for a good sleep.  The news will still be there in the morning, and if you take half an hour to read something you genuinely enjoy, you’ll sleep much better, guaranteed.  (My current recommendation is Chocolat by Joanne Harris.)

Treat yourself for an evening

Take a bath, have some tea, watch your favorite movie– spend the night relaxing with your favorite things.  I find that a face mask and bath bomb helps me feel rejuvenated and relaxed, and distracts me from thinking about the most recent executive order.

When you feel yourself getting overwhelmed, take a walk.  Clear your head.  Get some space and enjoy the outdoors rather than stewing inside.

Watch The West Wing or Parks and Recreation

They may be political shows, but they’re also shows about good people trying to do good things, and whenever you’re depressed about the current state of the union, an episode of Jed Bartlet or Leslie Knope is sure to cheer you up.

Write about it

Get all your thoughts out onto a piece of paper and then rip it to shreds.  Let go of all the pent up anger and throw the tiny pieces away. (Or if you want to be bit more productive, write for the Tab NYU instead of ranting on Facebook).

Make a list of everything you’re grateful for

Whether it’s family, friends, or $1 pizza, writing down everything you’re thankful to have in your life helps you realize that not the whole world has gone to hell in a handbasket– only parts of it have.

Lastly, remember to breathe.  It may seem cliched and ridiculous, but when it comes down to it, focusing on your breathing instead of outrage and anger will calm you down and help you focus on figuring out what you need to do.

Remember, it’s important to fight and make your voice be heard, but it’s also important to take care of yourself so that you don’t burn out.  Keep your energy up, and continue to fight the good fight.

NYU Hide Images