‘The election is over, but our movement has just begun’

Al Sharpton, Alec Baldwin and more rally New Yorkers against Trump

Thousands of New Yorkers rallied in front of Trump International Hotel & Tower in New York to protest the President-elect on the eve of his inauguration. People started gathering at Columbus Circle before six pm, slowly making their way along fenced-off sidewalks to the stage on Central Park West.

A man holding a simple cloth sign with the words “Imagine equality” led chants of “We are here” as the crowd listened to speakers like Sally Field, Julianne Moore, and Robert de Niro.

Mayor Bill de Blasio spoke to the strength of cities around America, “We control our destiny as Americans. We will continue making our cities better regardless of who’s in Washington,” urging the protesters to not let themselves be defined by what they’re against, but to focus on what they’re for.

“As bad as we think it’s going to be, it’s going to be worse. But the good news is, there’s more of us than there are of them,” added speaker Michael Moore, citing Hillary Clinton’s win of the majority vote. “You are not alone, we are the majority. Don’t give up!”

The speakers touched on issues regarding Trump’s cabinet picks, and emphasized the importance of active, daily protest called “100 days of resistance,” encouraging people to call their congressmen and Senators.

Alec Baldwin provided a snippet of his SNL Trump impersonation with, “I’m gonna go to the Russian consulate right now and take a piss. It’s gonna be a super, super strong one.” Reverend Al Sharpton summarized the night’s purpose, “The election is over, but the movement has just begun.”  

While anti-Trump protests immediately following the election had an air of disbelief and furious outrage, Thursday’s rally showed a side of Americans that are no longer shocked, but resolute in their determination to protest and resist discriminatory legislation during Trump’s administration.

@ellcasado 

NYU