In press conference, Brian Kelly addresses who will be first-string quarterback

Spring practice starts tomorrow

In a press conference this afternoon, football head coach Brian Kelly discussed the beginning of spring practices and how the team is shaping up for next season.

Kelly stressed that although tomorrow officially marks the beginning of spring practice, the program has been hard at work since January, building the team to make it the strongest it can be. In addition to recruiting a strong incoming class, the coaching staff has been strengthening the players mentally and physically with strenuous workouts designed to test them. Kelly said that tomorrow will be all about skill development.

He addressed the fact that the team has some significant voids to fill, but he is “excited about players who get a chance to step into those roles.” There will be spirited competition for positions across the board, something Kelly said he has been waiting for since he started coaching at ND.

Of course, all eyes are on the quarterback position. After Malik Zaire injured his ankle against Virginia in the second game of the season last year, sophomore DeShone Kizer stepped up to lead the Irish to a victory over Virginia and eight more wins in the 2015 season. With Brandon Wimbush in the mix now, there are three strong contenders for the position.

Zaire has recovered fully from his injury, and after team-wide testing, his numbers indicate that he is well on his way back to his pre-injury capabilities.

When asked how Kizer’s experience gives him an edge, Kelly said he has an important knowledge of the offense and a wealth of game day experience that cannot be duplicated. At the same time, Zaire also has the ability to not only run the offense but to galvanize the team, while Wimbush has the best arm amongst the three and is extremely fast.

Acknowledging the competition for the position will last throughout the spring and summer perhaps into the season, Kelly called the situation an “embarrassment of riches.”

Notre Dame University