In press conference, Brian Kelly addresses who will be first-string quarterback

Spring practice starts tomorrow

In a press conference this afternoon, football head coach Brian Kelly discussed the beginning of spring practices and how the team is shaping up for next season.

Kelly stressed that although tomorrow officially marks the beginning of spring practice, the program has been hard at work since January, building the team to make it the strongest it can be. In addition to recruiting a strong incoming class, the coaching staff has been strengthening the players mentally and physically with strenuous workouts designed to test them. Kelly said that tomorrow will be all about skill development.

He addressed the fact that the team has some significant voids to fill, but he is “excited about players who get a chance to step into those roles.” There will be spirited competition for positions across the board, something Kelly said he has been waiting for since he started coaching at ND.

Of course, all eyes are on the quarterback position. After Malik Zaire injured his ankle against Virginia in the second game of the season last year, sophomore DeShone Kizer stepped up to lead the Irish to a victory over Virginia and eight more wins in the 2015 season. With Brandon Wimbush in the mix now, there are three strong contenders for the position.

Zaire has recovered fully from his injury, and after team-wide testing, his numbers indicate that he is well on his way back to his pre-injury capabilities.

When asked how Kizer’s experience gives him an edge, Kelly said he has an important knowledge of the offense and a wealth of game day experience that cannot be duplicated. At the same time, Zaire also has the ability to not only run the offense but to galvanize the team, while Wimbush has the best arm amongst the three and is extremely fast.

Acknowledging the competition for the position will last throughout the spring and summer perhaps into the season, Kelly called the situation an “embarrassment of riches.”

What were YOU doing at 5:30 this morning! #CAMPKELLY

Because only one of the three very talented contenders will win starting quarterback, the question arose as to how difficult it is to keep the players committed to the process, considering that some players choose to transfer to schools where they would get more playing time. Kelly said that Zaire, Kizer, and Wimbush are all great competitors and they all want to play, but he hopes they recognize that Notre Dame is a unique place. The advantages of a Notre Dame degree are obvious, but Kelly thinks that the chance to play for Notre Dame, even if it is just for one season, might be worth it.

Kelly also noted that he is not opposed to utilizing more than one quarterback, citing the advantages of subbing them in and out in order to walk away with a win.

The battle for QB will be a fierce one, but with so much competition, Notre Dame is guaranteed a strong offensive leader.

Best of luck to the Irish as they begin spring practice.

Do you want to write stories for thousands of readers?

and

There were 15 reported rapes at Notre Dame in 2014

Nearly 100 colleges and universities had at least 10 reports of rape in 2014

A farewell to my freshman year RA

A mentor, not a narc

How to enjoy being single

For anyone who’s been ditched, the following are tried and true ways to take advantage of being single

I used Tinder to find out how Americans are voting this election

Looking for that special political love on a hookup app

, Assistant Editor

Lindy West: ‘Find the nice people and just don’t care what the dicks think’

We spoke to America’s bravest columnist

Now he’s voting for Hillary, what is Bernie Sanders’ legacy?

We can’t be certain that Bernie will have a long-lasting effect on politics

I was raised Catholic but now I’m an agnostic feminist

Now that I have an insider’s and outsider’s view of the Catholic faith, I understand the religion better than when I ever practiced it

Finally Bernie Sanders gives Hillary Clinton his vote

‘Yes, I think the issue right here is I am going to do everything I can to defeat Donald Trump’