How much is it really costing you to skip class at NC State?

You could buy gallons of Howling Cow instead

College students are notorious for staying out late and then dragging themselves to class the next morning. Unfortunately, many of us fight the internal battle of sleep versus class on a regular basis, and all too frequently, sleep wins. But this bad habit adds up and can cost you more than just a bad grade.

The total cost of attending NC State for the 2016-2017 school year is approximately $23,039. According to the Student Service center, tuition accounts for $8,880 of the costs, so $4,440 per semester. To be considered a full time student at NC State, you must be registered for at least 12 credit hours per semester, but most students take more than that to stay on track for graduation.

Undergrad students typically take five classes per semester at three credit hours each. Dividing the semester tuition by five classes, each one costs $888. Not including finals week, we attend 15 weeks of class. Assuming classes are held twice a week, the grand total per class is $29.60.

This total may sound like just a number, so to make it more relatable here are some common things NC State students buy in terms of classes skipped.

3.7 value size Pokey stix from Gumby’s

296 black & white copies using Wolfprint services

118.4 color copies using Wolfprint

9.83 Cookout milkshakes

1.48 Wolfpack One card replacements

Petition for every student to get one free photo retake?

7.18 pints of Howling Cow ice cream

7.49 Margaritas at El Cerro (on the rocks, of course)

Sure, this isn’t a big deal if you only do it once or twice. But skipping class on a regular basis can truly add up. That nap you decide to take ends up costing you almost $30, so it better be a damn good one.

It could be worse – you could attend a private university. But either way, you are basically throwing your money out the window when you don’t show up for the classes you pay for. When you live off of college loan money, each dollar counts.

North Carolina State University