The Pink City: Jaipur, India was the most amazing place to grow up

If you haven’t seen Jaipur, you haven’t seen the real India

There is a saying that goes, “If you have not seen Jaipur, you have not seen the real India.” Jaipur, the capital city and the largest city of the Indian State of Rajasthan in Northern India is where I belong. It is India’s true majestic past and brightened future.

Jaipur, “The Pink City,” as the name suggests is full of the color pink “where it welcomes you always.” It is everything on one platter, where one can experience, feel and discover India’s culture, tradition, royalty of our kings and queens and most importantly, our food. On the other hand, one can enjoy activities like clubs, numerous malls, cinema halls and so many other activities.

The two cities

Today, the city is divided into two parts, where the new city is embracing all the modern technologies and the old city is still bustling with spices, a shimmering and crowded market and royal architecture which can enchant every heart. The visitors can never leave empty-handed, even if the price is as high as our traditional captivating artifacts.

The people

They say, “Once you arrive, you never want to leave,” and all of this is because of the people.

People of Jaipur are the most simple people one can ever find. They believe in “simple living and high thinking.” Royalty is still alive in everyone’s blood as each and every resident (actual resident) of Jaipur probably had ancestors who were related to the royal kingdom in one way or the other. Therefore, “simple living” in Jaipur is what I call “more than simple.”

Jaipur people are always ready to help, but if something is ever said about our traditions, we are the “worst enemies,” as we are very particular and possessive about our culture. We believe in carrying on our legacy, which is what makes Jaipur and its people special – maybe that’s the reason why Jaipur is the most liked tourist destination.

It’s a hot tourist destination

It’s not only the most liked, but the hottest tourist destination – a perfect place for those who would like to see real India. It has so many tourist spots that you probably need more than a week just to explore our city. The most exciting thing to see is our City Palace, where you can not only see the alluring palace but can also see our king “Maharaja Padmanabh Singh,” the great grandson of “Maharaja Jai Singh II.”

We love food

Another special thing which makes Jaipur unique is our food. Food is something we need in abundance, and simple food without butter is not our thing. Like Europeans, we too believe that “food cooked well should be served well.” We need variety in our meals. Therefore, if you ever visit Jaipur, avoid all snacks as our meals are unforgettable and you’ll never be able to finish them.

Our nightlife is different

Nightlife in Jaipur is like the meeting of two opposites. In old Jaipur, nightlife is different from typical modern day nightlife. It is all about folk music and dancing along with some Indian snacks, whereas in new Jaipur, nightlife is all about clubs and discos along with some drinks.

Life in Jaipur

Overall, my hometown is full of life and traditions. No matter where we are, we know how to carry our legacy. Home will always be love, as this city has taught me how to value every small thing in life and respect everyone’s point of view.

North Carolina State University