‘Nothing is ever the same’: I spoke to a breast cancer survivor

In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Breast cancer is a disease that has affected many of us in one way or another. About 1 in 8 U.S. women (about 12%) will develop invasive breast cancer over the course of her lifetime. In 2016, an estimated 246,660 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected to be diagnosed in women in the U.S.

In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, I talked to a survivor and close family friend, Petty Officer Lisa Lawson. Officer Lawson is 47 years old and currently lives in Charlotte, NC. She served 20 years in the Navy. On Sept 9, 2011, her life changed forever when she was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 41. This is her story.

Lisa celebrated her fifth year free of breast cancer last month.

What was your reaction when you found out? How did you cope after the diagnosis?

Well after you hear the word “cancer,” everything else is mum. I couldn’t even process it at first. It was only eight months before that I had lost my son Gevaughnti and I was already in a terrible emotional state. The cancer diagnosis added an unbelievable amount of mental anguish on top of what I was going through. A mother is never prepared to lose her child, and I don’t think anybody is prepared to hear they have cancer either.

As far as the disease itself, it’s life changing. Nothing is ever the same. The physical aspect of living through it wasn’t the worst part to me, it’s the mental and physiological drain of knowing you’re afflicted with something so deadly.

What helped you the most through the experience?

My doctor always reminding me to stay positive, to keep the mindset “you’ll be alright.” It’s really all in the Lord’s hands at the end of the day.

Did you feel anyone treated you differently?

No, nobody treated me differently in my opinion. People were more compassionate and I think I reminded them how precious your health is.

What’s your current status?

I celebrated five years cancer free on September 19th.

Lisa Lawson

What’s your advice to younger women who are diagnosed?

Big thing for your audience to know – men get breast cancer, too! Young ladies especially, however, please do monthly breast exams, check for lumps and monitor your blood pressure constantly. Listen to your instincts. Your body is right most of the time. Always go to the doctor if you think anything is wrong. Students especially, the campus health center is there for a reason. Another thing I can’t stress enough is to maintain healthy eating habits. What you eat really matters.

Many health conditions are hereditary also. Make sure you know your family history and check yourself out early, whether it be for prostate cancer, breast cancer, etc.

North Carolina State University