The 10 Commandments of Wolfpack Football

We’re the red and white from State and we know we are the best

It’s no secret that Carter-Finley is the place to be on a Saturday in the fall. Home football games are all day events starting with tailgating and (hopefully) ending with the Belltower lighting up red. Regardless the time or the weather, dedicated Wolfpack fans start early to celebrate the boys in red. Football is basically a religion, so here are the 10 Commandments to being a proper fan at a Wolfpack football game.

Thou shall know when to Move the Chain

It’s crucial that the student section be in time when cheering together. It never fails that the Fight Song falls apart because people sing at different tempos. Pro tip- watch the drum major and follow their speed.

Also make sure you know the various chants throughout the game. For example, when State makes a first down the students say “Move the chains, move the chains, move, move, move” and not “booby chains” like it may sound. No joke, my freshman brain heard that the first time I attended a football game.

On the topic of chanting, we always scream “you suck” when the opposing team kicks off. Obviously the Wolfpack loves to howl.

Thou shall get the Anthem right

When the National Anthem is played or performed, we always yell out and emphasize “red” and adjust the words to the “home of the Wolfpack.” It’s really intense for a crowd full of people to yell together like that and creates a sense of camaraderie.

Thou shall don red and white

The Wolfpack loves to show their spirit every day, but especially on game days. The entire student section and home side is like a sea of red. Don’t be the idiot in Carolina blue. There’s no such thing as the fashion police on game day, so some fans may look tacky but that’s just how they show their support. The more State gear, the better.

Plenty of State gear to choose from

Thou shall carry a clear bag

With this new football season comes a new baggage rule. No bags are allowed unless they are really stupid small or see-through. They’re obviously cracking down on the booze smugglers, so tuck the flask further into your boot this year.

Thou shall be prepared for a long day of tailgating 

The parking lot opens four hours prior to kickoff, even if it’s a noon game. There will without a doubt be people drinking beer at 8 o’clock in the morning. We take tailgating very seriously in Wolfpack Nation.

The best spots are in the dirt, so dress accordingly. But that doesn’t stop the girls from wearing little black dresses and cowboy boots.

Thou shall follow Jake’s lead and make a scene

At each game, there are giveaways where the crowd-cam helps pick the winner. To succeed (and hopefully win a year’s supply of Neese’s Sausage), the key is to draw as much attention to yourself as possible. Even if this includes dressing up like a gorilla, taco, banana or dancing like a lunatic.

Thou shall be generous with your ID

It’s an unspoken rule that fans are willing to share student IDs to get guests into the game. The more people cheering in the student section, the merrier. Find someone that looks like the friend you want to sneak in and borrow their ID. Then pretend you did nothing wrong.

Thou shall respect the Power Sound of the South

We are proud to show off our marching band, so halftime is always exciting in Wolfpack Nation. These dedicated musicians work hard on shows to entertain the fans, so it’s our job to give them our full attention when they come on the field. They are the reason we get to jam out and have dance parties during the game, after all.

Thou shall invest in every possible college football network

Of course the ideal scenario would be to attend every away game the Wolfpack plays, but that isn’t always an option. Instead, we purchase the extra channels necessary to watch all the games. Usually WolfTV covers them, but we are willing to make a sacrifice if not.

Photo via Kenneth Darr Photography

Thou shall maintain a positive attitude

Whether we win or lose, the Wolfpack is a family. We bond over many things (including our dislike for the Tarholes in Chapel Hell) but sometimes the most bonding happens over a loss. Regardless the score, there’s something about a wolf that refuses to give up and be defeated. This Wolfpack sticks together.

Pack fam forever

North Carolina State University