Students on edge over series of armed robberies

There have been four robberies in the past ten days.

Umich students are used to a certain level of danger that comes along with being a college student—the occasional laptop stolen from the Ugli, “suspicious characters” wandering after dark, etc. But some Crime Alerts from the past couple weeks have many students fearing for their safety, as armed robberies have been reported multiple times near the Oakland area.

Four armed robberies have occurred since January 25th, all between midnight and 2am, according to the U-M Division of Public Safety and Security Department (DPS). In addition, there was one unarmed robbery on January 27th.

The two most recent incidents, which occurred on February 4th and 5th, featured a suspect described as exiting a large dark-colored car, wearing a red bandanna, and brandishing a large gun at the victims. Both victims were walking south of Central Campus.

“I don’t feel safe studying outside my apartment in the evening,” said Ellen Guerra, a junior who lives near the area where the crimes occurred. “I don’t want friends to come over and walk home alone.”

DPS said in a statement that the police are making every attempt to locate those responsible and to ensure the safety of Michigan’s students, including increasing patrols in that area. They also stressed that anyone with information about the robberies should come forward, and that the department is offering a $1,000 reward for information “leading to the identification, arrest and prosecution of those responsible for these crimes.”

In the meantime, students should avoid walking home alone after dark, and the university has recommended they use programs like SafeRide, available via the TapRide app.

“Pedestrians are encouraged to walk in pairs or groups,” DPS wrote. “Neighborhood residents are encouraged to leave on their porch lights. All are encouraged to contact police immediately at 911 if they see any suspicious activity.”

Guerra says that she’s thankful for the advice, but worries that it’s “unrealistic” to be able to find someone to walk home with every night.

“At some point someone will have to walk alone,” said Guerra. “I feel helpless.”

University of Michigan