Michigan football player Grant Perry charged with sexual assault

The sophomore was arraigned Wednesday.

19-year-old wide receiver Grant Perry is facing one felony count of assaulting an officer and two misdemeanor counts of fourth-degree criminal sexual assault and underage drinking.

The incident reportedly occurred on October 15th, a weekend when Michigan did not have a football game. Perry is accused of inappropriately touching a woman waiting in line outside of an East Lansing bar. Police were called and Perry reportedly resisted arrest, resulting in an officer sustaining a minor hand injury.

In response to Perry’s arraignment, the athletic department released a statement, saying: “The University was made aware of the arrest of student-athlete Grant Perry earlier this fall. He was immediately suspended from all team activities at that time and missed two games. Based on the information at that time, Grant was allowed to resume team activities pending the outcome of the investigation. Upon being informed that charges would be filed, he was immediately and indefinitely suspended from all team activities until the legal process is completed.”

A preliminary hearing has been scheduled for January 5th, and Perry could face up to two years in prison. In the meantime, he has been barred from contact with the victim.

University of Michigan