The best ways to procrastinate at the University of Michigan

Don’t just look at memes on your phone. Step outside, explore Umich and everything it has to offer in the dead of winter.

Fall semester finals are behind us forever and syllabus week is quickly approaching. And although break is supposed to give us some renewed energy to study even harder than last semester, winter is coming. So I’m not sure how our professors expect us to have the energy to do anything but contemplate leaving bed. If you’ve already gotten out of bed today and gone to class, you’re most likely procrastinating doing your homework by reading this article. But wait! Before you turn to your classic procrastinating toolkit (i.e. looking at pictures of puppies, looking up adoptable puppies in the area, attempting to figure out the cost of a puppy, reading your lease to find out how illegal it is if you buy a puppy…) you should take some time to explore Michigan. You probably don’t even realize the aresenal of tools you have at your disposal at Umich when you want to do literally anything but your homework. I’ve done some research for your sake to figure out the best ways to procrastinate at Umich. You can thank me later.

Take a walk in the Arb after a snowstorm

After a few minutes of some walking in 10 degree weather, you’ll lose all memory of the frustration you had towards your homework. You’ll also lose all feeling in your hands and toes. Worth it to avoid biochem.

I guess some people get excited about the cold.

Find out what’s on the 8th floor of Hatcher

Maybe you’re in the Ugli trying to bust out an essay on some super old book and you’re just wondering to yourself has anyone ever been up there? You’d be doing us all a favor if you could go to the tippy-top of Hatcher and report back on what you find.

Pretty sure it’s just more books, but it’s worth checking out.

Try and find Haven Hall 

Why is this building such a maze? It’s a mystery what the person who designed this place was thinking. If you’ve ever tried to find your professor’s office in one of the “MATH” buildings and gotten lost, you’re not alone. But why not turn this into a fun activity so you can avoid going to office hours all together? Try and find Haven Hall and if that’s too easy a task, try and figure out how many floors it has. Don’t forget keep your left hand on one wall and you’ll never get lost. You will probably get sick though.

Fake sick

If trailing your hand across Mason Hall doesn’t make you sick, fake it. Just treat yo’ self one day and email all your professors that you have food poisoning (or, more believably, norovirus). Then post up at home and watch all the seasons of Frasier (or whatever you watch, since I’m definitely the only person who watches that show). I’ve heard Westworld is pretty good. Check it out and report back!

You are, after you fake sick.

Step on the M and wait to see what happens

If you’ve already taken your first blue book, step on the M and see what happens. Let me know if there is an explosion and/or the appearance of the ghost of UM’s past.

Steal cookies from Mojo

Props if you can get out of there with more than two trays of those delicious chocolate chip delights stuffed into your backpack.

Clean your house

Lol JK you’d probably rather do homework.

These are just a few ideas of how to take advantage of this amazing campus. If you’re not interested in any of these, you can go back to searching for pics of baby animals and taking Buzzfeed quizzes, or you know, just do your homework.

University of Michigan