Everything you missed at the LSA Community gathering

One meeting with free pizza isn’t going to solve a race problem

The LSA Community sent out an email to invite all students to a gathering in Angell Hall, “In order to respond to and discuss the racist messages found on campus yesterday.” A large crowd congregated in the lobby around 6pm, with a group of both student and staff alike. There were pizzas, drinks and most importantly – conversation.

LSA Dean, Andrew Martin, kicked things off with a short speech welcoming all. He stressed that this was not a series of speakers but instead an area for students and faculty to come together to discuss responses to the racist messages and remind us that we are all here for one another. It was a unique opportunity for staff and student members to converse and get to know one another.

He said, “The faculty members and staff that work with you on a daily basis are proud of  you. And I know you don’t feel that all the time…But I can tell you from the leadership across the street and more importantly the faculty members who stand with you tonight, they’re with you  and they’re proud of you.” In his short talk, Martin stressed the importance of unity between both students and professors together, as well as the power of conversation.

After he spoke, people began talking amongst themselves. The conversations ranged from courteous introductions to outrage and disgust over the fliers seen the day before. There was no particular order or system—people were free to come and go as they pleased from the building. The conference rooms were offered up for groups to utilize, and the gathering went on civilly, if not positively.

Many more conversations need to be had in order to make a difference on our campus. In no way is it expected that one get together with pizza and soda would eradicate racism across the campus. But, the College of LS&A created an open, welcoming environment to help remind students that the University does not condone the racist remarks shown on the fliers, and will continue to stand with its students. And that’s a start.

University of Michigan