UMich ‘extremely disappointed’ by student who abused Uber driver

‘No one should be treated with such disrespect’

UPDATE (3/28, 1:44pm)

Uber has now commented, saying: “Any type of aggression or harassment is simply unacceptable and violates Uber’s code of conduct for riders and drivers.  

“We are looking into all the details as we investigate this incident and are in touch with everyone involved.”

BuzzFeed says both Zawada and Croman have had their access to the app suspended while the matter is investigated.

UPDATE (8:37pm)

Jake Croman, the student shown in the video, has responded to our request for comment. He alleges the video “shows one side of an argument I had with an Uber driver” and says the driver made an offensive remark and “refused to pick me up on the basis of my religion.” We have asked him to substantiate that claim and we are waiting to hear back from him.

He goes on: “I am not proud of my reaction to his discrimination and I regret my choice of words. Shortly after the verbal altercation, I filed a complaint with the Ann Arbor police department and they are now dealing with the issue.”

When we put the allegation to the driver earlier today, he denied it outright.

UPDATE (4:42pm)

A national spokesperson for TKE has echoed the university’s disappointment with Jake Croman, and added he could face expulsion from the fraternity.

He said: “Tau Kappa Epsilon has begun our investigation into the video which allegedly contains one of our members.

“We are extremely disappointed by the individual’s demeaning words. As an organization founded on the personal worth and character of the individual, our members come from a wide range of diverse backgrounds of race, creed, and orientation.

“At the conclusion of our swift, thorough investigation, we will handle the situation with appropriate action.

“Depending on the details of the investigation, this could include the expulsion of membership.”

The latest update in the Uber video saga comes as the university says they are “extremely disappointed” in the behavior of Jake Croman, who hurled abuse at a driver last week.

Croman, who is an LSA major and a member of Tau Kappa Epsilon, was filmed calling an Uber driver a “minimum wage faggot” and a “little piece of shit.”

A university spokesperson told The Tab: “We have seen the video. Our dean of students has talked with both the Uber driver and the students.

“We are extremely disappointed in the behavior depicted in this video. No one should be treated with such disrespect.”

We have reached out to Croman for comment.

More to follow.

University of Michigan