Has the quarterback position for MSU football been filled?

“I also think our other quarterbacks are good players, too, but right now he’s the guy,” Coach Dantonio said.

Now that senior QB Tyler O’Connor will be graduating, MSU needs a new QB. Spartan fans have been guessing Messiah deWeaver or Damion Terry but, sophomore, Brian Lewerke is “the guy.”

Time to focus on the real games now?

A post shared by Brian Lewerke (@blewerke14) on Apr 1, 2017 at 4:23pm PDT

Mark Dantonio talked about Lewerke with such great hope and optimism. “He’s a good athlete. He’s poised back there,” Coach Dantonio said. “Every time he takes a snap in an environment where there are people there or something of that nature he’s going to get better and better and better. There’s always a little bit of a learning curve, but he’s a good player.”

Coach even talked about the fact that Lewerke would’ve been the starting QB in the last four games last season if he didn’t break his leg in the game against Michigan in October.

Spartan fans should be more confident with Dantonio’s choice after watching the Spring games this year. He threw 44 passes total in the game Saturday, that’s about 3 times as many as any other QB.

It wasn't quite the outcome we wanted, but I was excited to play for the first time in college ???? #BallSecurity

A post shared by Brian Lewerke (@blewerke14) on Sep 27, 2016 at 4:35pm PDT

Even though Dantonio calls him “the guy” right now, that doesn’t seal Lewerke’s spot in that position. Terry and deWeaver are very significant candidates for the spot.

“He’s much improved,” Dantonio said. “He’s still going to mess up signals, and call the wrong play when it’s supposed to be a different play, those type of things which are elementary mistakes that he will get past. I think he’s progressed very well.”

Michigan State