MSU student tragically killed in car crash with his girlfriend over Spring Break

The two were killed on the way to see family

This past weekend MSU suffered a terrible loss. Max Muessig and his girlfriend, Maggie Potter, were killed almost instantly when a tree fell on top of their car. They were driving to Muessig’s mother’s house for dinner during a wind storm that was reaching speeds of up to 70 miles an hour when a tree snapped and landed on the roof of his car.

Muessig, 20, is a Michigan native who just transferred from University of Vermont to Michigan State University for the fall 2016 semester. He was studying political science and was hoping to practice law and politics. He was also a brother in Lambda Chi Alpha at MSU.

Potter, 23, graduated from University of Vermont, where the couple met, last spring with a degree in psychology. She was living in Boston and hoped to further her career as an event planner.

The young couple were described to be “soulmates” and had a bright future ahead for the both of them both independently and together. MSU mourns the loss of yet another student and a beautiful couple.

Michigan State