What January is actually like at MSU

Who doesn’t love to slip and fall almost every day?

Winter in East Lansing is such a scenic and intricately beautiful time of the year. Spartans have celebrated the new year and head back to school for a new semester and adventure. But to everyone’s surprise, January isn’t always as amazing as we hoped.

Ice

Although sidewalks seem to be over salted and ruin your shoes, they still like to keep you on your toes with invisible sheets of ice. So don’t let your guard down. Go ahead, almost wipeout then act like nothing happened, but no matter how cool you play it, someone saw you almost eat it. The worst part is when your friend slips on ice and you are obligated to help, but can’t stop laughing.

Unbearably cold

Unsure about what to expect this winter, I asked a fellow Spartan, Kayla, how she prepares for the cold at MSU, “Cry,” she said. As I laughed she gave me a serious look, and I suddenly realized the genuineness of her answer. Although it may seem the weather is not extreme these past couple days, it will come, don’t worry. So bundle up, Spartans!

Packed Busses

The CATA busses seem to be the only way of transportation around campus when Winter arrives. People that have never taken the bus become regulars, which causes tension, and bus drivers do not show compassion to claustrophobic students as they pack the busses like a can of sardines. Although they can be a horrific experience, they end up getting you to your destination without frostbite, so can we really complain?

Is going out even worth it anymore?

Even in warm weather, the trip to Rick’s or the Ski Club’s house, was difficult for most. Now students are faced with practically freezing temperatures at night, and the ladies have to figure out how to make their parka fashionable, or at least find a nice hiding place at the house party so it doesn’t get stolen. Unbelievable, right? Uber is used relentlessly as means of transport, and no one wants to pay those surges. Going out declines through the winter months, and stupid ideas like dorm parties are invented. Instead, Spartans should participate in much more excited and rewarding activities, such as Bingo!

Eating cafe food after homemade meals

After those mouthwatering, homemade meals all break long, Spartans come back to chicken sandwiches, wraps and salads. Please, contain your excitement.

Amateur gym-goers

After New Year’s, huge amounts of resolutions are made, and the most popular seem to involve shaping up. The first month or so back, you will see random students at IM West not knowing what the hell they’re doing. You will witness many lifting fails, treadmill trips and member dropouts after the “new year, new me” attitude wears off.

January is hard, but hang in there Spartans. Do not forget how much you love your campus no matter how many times you slip and fall! Mopeds will run again, Grand River won’t seem so far away and you won’t have to wear a black parka every day. Be patient, spring is just around the corner…kinda.

Michigan State