Of course Maryland is the top state for winning gold medals – it’s the greatest state in America

Maryland is awesome and here’s why

Yes. We all know how amazing Maryland has been at the Olympics this year. I mean, we have had our very own Marylander athletes win 10 gold medals out of the 16 that the United States has earned. That’s more than some entire countries. So yes, Maryland is awesome. These are all of the reasons why.

Blue Crabs

You haven’t had a real crab cake sandwich or a nice meal of a dozen crabs unless you’ve been to Maryland. This is because of one simple fact: Maryland has the best crabs in the country. Perhaps even the world. If you’re self-respecting, why would you ever eat a crab that had a red shell when it was caught? You wouldn’t because it’d just be disappointing. But you know who wasn’t disappointed? Baltimore’s very own Michael Phelps after he won his fourth gold medal in different swimming events. He’ll be having a nice bushel of blue crabs soon.

Naval Academy

Yes. Maryland is home to one of the bases of the men and women who fight for our country’s safety. We have some pretty badass people there whether they’re Marines or Seals. But I think we are forgetting something. Who else was a bad ass in the Olympics? Probably Bethesda’s Katie Ledecky who earned the gold medal in three different events. Bye other countries. We’re coming for you in Rio.

White House

We all know that Washington DC isn’t in one particular state but there’s one thing we do know for sure. Maryland borders our nation’s capital so seeing where Obama lives is just a short drive away if you live in Maryland. Hardford County’s Chase Kalisz knows that, living a short 40 miles away from DC. Do you know what he also knows? That Obama was cheering him on while watching him kick ass in the Olympics.

The National Aquarium

Look at that! We have another thing that is the only one in the nation. Baltimore is home to The National Aquarium where you can see a large variety of aquatic animals. You can also see the Inner Harbor when you walk outside and take a ride on the dragon-shaped boats that you can rent out or even swim in. Speaking of Baltimore and swimming, I think Phelps knows a bit about both of those things.

Preakness

We have some of the nation’s fastest horses race in The Preakness every single year located right in Baltimore. Preakness is the second race of the US Triple Crown of Thoroughbred Racing and the people who organized it decided to put it in the great state of Maryland. I forget though. Who else is fast? Was it Phelps, Ledecky and Kalisz in their races at the Olympics? You’ll have to remind me.

Old Bay

Let’s be honest here. If you eat crabs, you have Old Bay seasoning right on the table next to your crabs. It is delicious on them and it’s also produced in Maryland, which makes it even better. It’s so delicious that there’s even chips with Old Bay seasoning called crab chips. Even though my memory is off now, I do know that Phelps, Ledecky and Kalisz are professional swimmers. I think crabs swim too if I’m not wrong. What do they have in common? Being amazing (even if the crabs don’t have the gold medals too) and loving water.

Best State Flag

There is no doubt that Maryland has the best state flag in the country. I feel bad if you’ve had to draw it in school, but being honest here, it was probably beautiful after you did it. You know what’s also beautiful? Red white and blue and the letters “USA” which is on every single Olympic uniform that each Marylander gold medalist has worn during their races. As Christina Aguilera would say, “Maryland and Phelps, Ledecky and Kalisz are beautiful, no matter what they say.”

Johns Hopkins Hospital

Another thing Maryland is number one in has to do with medical feats. We have the number one hospital in the country. No others in different states can compare. Guess who else can’t compare to Maryland and the United States in general? Yeah that’s right. Every single athlete from other countries in the world when they race against the stellar Phelps, Ledecky and Kalisz.

I think that settles it. Maryland is the best state in the country and the United States is the best country in the world. So take that every other country.

University of Maryland