Your 2016 music festival season survival guide

‘Paying hundreds of dollars to use real toilets is for the weak’

With the recent releases of several lineups, it’s looking like 2016 is going to be a great year for music festivals.

Whether you’re basking in the California sun at Coachella or chilling in the Delaware woodlands at Firefly, there are certain things you need to know to have the best time possible at a music festival.

Here’s the run down on how to survive 2016’s festival season.

Ticket prices

For starters please know unless you can afford super-VIP passes (which are usually thousands of dollars), your festival experience will be much different than celebrities make it seem on Instagram. “VIP air-conditioned lounges” might sound appealing, but roughing it in the crowds is half the fun. Besides, paying hundreds of dollars to use real toilets is for the weak.

Wear sneakers

Your new sandals might look cute now, but I promise you will not be saying that when they are caked in mud and falling apart. After standing for hours on end, your feet will be thanking you. 

Have a plan

Before the festival, create your own personal lineup so you know who you want to see, when they play and where to find them.

What to wear

When it comes to festival fashion, the best part is you can literally wear whatever you want without being judged, but some staple items are funky sunglasses, crop tops, cut offs, and anything floral.

Food and drink

Staying hydrated and energized when food and drinks cost a fortune can be difficult, but most festivals provide lots of free options too. Find these and take advantage of them, even if they make you like the company on Facebook first.

Looking to sneak some contraband into the festival? We’re not here to judge. Try a Camelbak hydration pack with a built in pouch for “water”, or Booze Tube’s fake tampons.

Where to stay

If you’re camping at the festival, be prepared to get extremely dirty. Not being able to shower for a few days while living in a literal pile of mud can really take a toll on some people, so if you’re not feeling up to it try booking a hotel nearby.

Choose your company wisely

Last but not least, what will truly make or break your festival experience is the people you go with. Leave the high maintenance kid at home, and round up all your easy-going, down for whatever friends.

You’ll spend a lot of your time standing around waiting for acts to come on, so you want to make sure you’re with a group of people who’ll be having fun the entire time.

University of Maryland