Makeup is the greatest form of self-love

Use balm, feel bomb

Wanna hear a secret, ladies and gentlemen? Makeup is actually a super empowering form of art.

We all start from the bottom with makeup, using the shitty $2 shimmer eyeshadow and lipsticks from Claire’s until we’ve earned the right to shellack our faces with Colourpop and Urban Decay. After years experimenting with it, I’ve come to a realization that makeup is truly a artistic outlet that doubles as a form of self-love and personal care. And once it’s learned, it is extremely empowering for females and males alike.

It’s simple: look good, feel good

This is #1 for a lot of people, and psychology backs it up. If you feel like you took the time to look your best, you’ll feel your best. In turn, it’s true that if I look not-so-great, I’ll feel — you guessed it — not so great. It can be as simple as getting that perfectly sharp winged eyeliner, full lashes or even a nourishing coat of lip balm. The internal confidence and strength you feel is life-changing.

That vampire tooth tho. ?

A photo posted by Raye Boyce (@itsmyrayeraye) on Dec 28, 2015 at 7:23pm PST

For inspiration, turn to drag queens

Not even kidding. It’s guaranteed if you look up Courtney Act, you will be inspired by how much she embraces and plays with her features. It truly is inspiring to see the art form on these queens and how much time, effort and dedication they put into this skill. As a result, I can’t imagine the confidence they must feel by possessing such a talent and looking so flawless. Makeup is an art that is valued by both men and women alike. Also, low key wish I looked like Courtney Act.

Tell me about it, Stud…

A photo posted by Courtney Act (@courtneyact) on Oct 18, 2016 at 12:27pm PDT

YouTube gurus are giving us all the skills to slay with confidence

We envy them. I do, you do, everybody does. Whenever I get into a makeup tutorial binge, I immediately go to practice my makeup to hopefully be as good as them one day. They’re blazing a new makeup frontier that’s inclusive and empowering for everyone. Just look at Covergirl’s newest model, YouTuber James Charles. He’s the brand’s first ever male makeup model and he’s killing the game with proof that makeup is for everyone, even men.

It can make you feel closer to today’s icons

They all wear makeup. Yes, even the guys. Granted it may all be done by a professional makeup artist, but who wouldn’t want to look as good as your favorite celeb? For me, it’s all about Kylie Jenner’s natural eye makeup look. We all have our favorite celeb #look, which can inspire us to try new things, experiment with a bold color or even just find what works best on our skin tone/eye color/face type.

A photo posted by Kylie (@kyliejenner) on Feb 19, 2016 at 2:09pm PST

It’s just fun and puts you in a better mood (statistically proven)

Doing makeup can seriously be fun. Trying new things and experimenting until you find a new look you fall in love with is extremely satisfying. 44% of women use makeup as a means to feel better about their appearance. It’s no question that most women use makeup to please themselves, not others, which is a healthy act of self-love. There was also a study conducted in 2013 in which about 1,000 U.S. and UK men claimed they have experimented with or use makeup, and that number has only increased since then.

Smiling with your eyes 🙂

A photo posted by M I C H E L L E (@michellephan) on Jul 2, 2014 at 5:39pm PDT

If you’re not too into makeup yet, you might achieve a new-found love through it. It is an empowering, strengthening, and fun way to express yourself, while at the same time boosting self-esteem and your overall mood! I suggest a stop at your nearest Ulta or Sephora soon. Stay beautiful.

Coming soon