How to eat like a real Californian

Long Beach eats for body and soul

A quick 24 miles south of Los Angeles is sunny Long Beach, CA, better known — thanks to Snoop — as the LBC. Forget the stereotypes, forget the hype. Here are the best food and drink spots frequented by locals that are actually worthy of tourist attention. Time to take notes.

To start, Long Beach knows how to drink

Long Beach is a popular nightlife center for everyone from local bros to everyday tourists. Bars, clubs, restaurants and live music are popping every night of the week. Everything and anything you want, Long Beach has. In fact, you can get it all on one street. Second Street in Belmont Shore is your go-to. Only in LBC could you find Southern California’s oldest brewpub, Belmont Brewing Co., overlooking the ocean–does anything beat turning up on the Pacific?

Now for the inside scoop: hit up Shannon’s Bayshore along with hundreds of locals and college kids at least once so you can “shoot the root.” I don’t want to give too much away, but know that you will not be disappointed.

Food you never knew you needed is in Long Beach

Leave the bars, tacos are calling…and Holé Molé, they are good. Holé Molé is serving up the real deal when it comes to tacos. Potato tacos? Yes, potato tacos. Everyone loves pancakes, but only a select few pass the pancake connoisseur test. The Potholder cooks up an 18” pancake served with two eggs and some (extra) crispy bacon. The best part is that it’s free–if you can eat it all, that is.

If you’re still hungry after committing literal gluttony, other must-try places to satisfy all types of cravings — even cravings you didn’t know you could have — include sushi tacos at Norigami, Roscoe’s Chicken and Waffles and Mac ‘n Cheetos at The Attic.

And to wash it all down and make you feel good about yourself again, you can find a healthy (read: trendy) juice or Acai bowl place on just about every corner. Just remember: Insa pic or it didn’t happen. 

Long Beach has PRIDE

Much of what makes Long Beach so special is the annual Pride Festival. Two days of celebrity-filled festival in the heart of downtown celebrates our amazing LGBTQIA community with non-stop partying.

The Pride event is one of the largest in the country. Long Beach is home to all and isn’t afraid to show it. Pop bottles with friends at the local bars, taking advantage of the amazing drink specials during the celebration.

Up your Insta game with Retro Row

Also known as Fourth Street, this is where you will find all things hipster. Super ‘grammable coffee shops, vintage boutiques and hair salons dot the street. Nowhere else in Long Beach will you find an indie feel like Retro Row, the ultimate stop for some vintage Cali vibes.

But first, coffee

Some of the best coffee roasters in the world can be found in Long Beach. There are a number of specialty coffee shops all over, so true Long Beachers stay away from the mega-chains in favor of some local flavor.

Though this list is in no way comprehensive of all the caffeine Long Beach has to offer, some of the best spots to check out include The Green House, Fox Coffee House, Steelhead Coffee, Makai Coffee and The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf. Your inner Lorelai Gilmore will thank you.

Long Beach is oh so sweet

In all of us, there is a special place in your stomach reserved for dessert and dessert only. Luckily for you (but not your waistline), Long Beach has dozens of routes to fill that empty space. Each place is so different, yet all have something in common: they make you happy in the way that only processed sugar can.

So much humidi-tea ☀️?

A photo posted by Snow Monster (@snowmonsteroc) on Oct 3, 2016 at 1:38pm PDT

Get creative with ice cream in a bun at Afters then pop over to Snow Monster to eat a cloud–yes, you read that right. But if you can only make it out to one place, make it Sweet Jill’s for their cinnamon roll. It is dangerously delicious.

Long Beach satisfies virtually every craving you could have, from food to fun–all capped with a perfect sunset. Take a page from Snoop’s book and take a journey down to this hidden Cali gem.

Coming soon