RIT sent out a student satisfaction survey that linked to porn

Now that’s what I call satisfaction

Let’s just say Rochester Institute of Technology had a scandalous morning.

An email was sent out to undergraduates this morning about an upcoming student satisfaction survey, but had a little surprise.

The survey had a contest incentive to it, so more students would fill out the survey. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on what you are into), whoever wrote the emailĀ used placeholder linkĀ for the contest rules. The email was sent before the actual link address to the rules was added to the email.

The placeholder link “.xxx” is a Top Level Domain, or TLD, which is used more and more for adult content. This specific placeholder link sent whoever clicked on it straight to a porn site.

One student said “some pretty explicit material comes up immediately” when you click the link.

An additional email was sent within an hour after the first with an apology at the top and the placeholder links corrected.

It is not clear who sent out the first email, but when one student inspected the email, they said it either came from Bill Destler, RIT’s president, or someone working on his behalf.

Coming soon