Why tailgating is really the best sport in America

We may not be amazing at football, but at least we’re good at what really matters…

Sadly, the fall semester is finally coming to an end! This means the start and finish of finals, the end of sport seasons and a three-week period to give our livers a break. However, with the end of football season approaching, this doesn’t mean the end of an undefeated season or the end of attending sporting events, no folks, this is the end of another great tailgating season! To commemorate this monumental time of year, I intend to defend my claim that tailgating is in fact, the greatest sport in America.

The food is the bomb

Maybe it’s the hamburgers you’re stealing from a fraternity, or maybe it’s the grilled cheese that a local clothing store is advertising with. Nonetheless, tailgating food satisfies the “drunchies” and all diets are to be set aside! Make rounds and fill your plate, or even better, just show up to your best friend’s parent’s tailgate and they’ll literally beg you to eat. I mean if you insist, don’t mind if I do!

It’s appropriate for all ages

Okay, maybe you want to shield your 12-year-old sister’s eyes from that college boy funneling beer from the top of his Jeep, but nonetheless, this is an event for you and the whole family! Alumni come back to visit and parents take the annual family weekend challenge to get on our level.

The competition is fierce

Do you even know where you are? These parking lots are home to semester-long defending corn hole champions. Did you know that your girlfriend’s dad used to be president of his fraternity? Might as well put those skills to the test by trying to out-shotgun him. Nothing says contact sport like cutting your lips on a can!

It’s a communal event

I swear every organization on campus sets up to tailgate. Sorority? Tailgate. Fraternity? Tailgate. Math Club? Tailgate. SCOM group? Tailgate. Your freshman dorm RA’s? TAILGATE!

The school spirit is like no other

Sure pep rally is enthusiastic when you’re a freshman, and it’s nice to cheer at football games, but nothing says show me your dukes like a good ol’ fashioned tailgate. We bleed purple and gold over here in the ‘burg and containing us in upper convo is a recipe for an explosion of school pride! #Godukes

“Hey man are you going to the football game today?” “Nah dude I’m exhausted, I’ve been tailgating since yesterday.”- every JMU Student

James Madison University