How much it really costs you to skip a class at Ithaca

You could’ve bought 39 vodka sodas at Moonies

Ithaca College is known among its students as an over priced, expensive school to attend. Most of us pay over $41,000 to come to classes here, and that doesn’t even count room and board. But, let’s face it. Sometimes, it’s a just a little too cold and a little too snowy to attend your 8am lecture.

Whether you went too hard at 90’s night or spent 24 hours straight studying for financial accounting, we’ve all skipped a class or two before. How much money are we really wasting not trudging to class because there’s snow on the ground and our beds are too comfy to move?

For the 2016-2017 school year, the total cost of attending Ithaca College is $56,766. With room and board costing $14,990, that leaves $41,776 for tuition. To be a full time student at Ithaca, you must be registered for 12 credits minimum with 18 credits as the maximum. I’ll assume that every Ithaca College student takes at least 12 credits, with quite a few taking the full 18, so we’ll say that the average credit number is 15. Most classes are 3 credits, so that leaves about $8,355 per class. We have about 14 weeks of class this Fall semester, not including finals week. Our grand total for the average cost of a single class is $198.92.

Every time you skip a class to take a nap or do work for another class, you’re wasting $198.92. This may not be the easiest to wrap your head around, so let’s put this number in Ithaca terms…

132.61 TCAT rides

39.78 Vodka sodas at Moonies

40.1 Bacon, egg and cheeses from Collegetown Bagels

19.9 Months of UV tanning at Zoom Tan

5.17 Ithaca College student ID replacements

24.86 Salads from the Pub

44.30 Starbucks coffees from cafes around campus

25.02 calzones from DP Dough

Next time, you might want to think before you take a $198.92 nap.

Ithaca College