Trump’s supporter harassed me for admitting I voted for Hillary

It was me against seven guys

I was a victim of Donald Trump’s sexist and hateful rhetoric. I was one of the many women affected by Donald Trump’s sexist remarks repeating that women are objects, that men can do anything to us if they’re famous or powerful enough.

I was at a party, in an extremely hot basement, and decided to cool off for a minute outside. Seven guys were talking about the election and how much they loved Donald Trump. Obviously, being one of the many women who voted for and continue to support Hillary, I made a face in disgust. They then asked me if I voted for Clinton, I said yes.

I then became a target for these boys because of what I answered. They started to tell me and describe to me disgusting sexual things that they were going to do to me. Horrible things, like where they’d put their body parts into mine, laughing and egging each other on. They even chanted “build that wall”. They said things I don’t even want to repeat while they were also trying to demean my reasons for not supporting their candidate.

These guys may not have laid their hands on me, but that doesn’t discredit the fear and disgust I felt while they forced me to listen. This was not okay, and I’m not going to act like it was.

I’ve seen posts by my more conservative Facebook friends complaining about “safe spaces” and people being upset and emotional about the results of this election. I’ve seen posts telling those who are angry to get over it, that we can’t change what happened so we might as well accept it and just move on.

But I’m not going to accept this. I’m not going to accept this man who fuels hatefulness into society as my leader and who exemplifies everything that’s wrong with people in this country.

These boys thought it was okay to say disrespectful things to me, and they will probably do this again to another woman. I’m proud that I stood up for myself. But what happens when women don’t tell these guys to stop? What happens when a woman is mistreated or spoken to like this and there’s no one else around to stand up for her?

I don’t blame Donald Trump for what these boys said to me and I don’t blame him for all sexism. But I do blame him for making these words and these actions seem normal.

Ithaca College