‘True Life: I am a Disney Princess’

Meet the ISU student getting paid to wear a tiara for a living

Once upon a time, Emmy Cuvelier wanted to be a Disney princess, but she never knew her dream would actually come true. Emmy, a junior studying Performing Arts at ISU, is a “Professional Princess,” working at kid’s birthday parties dressed like any Disney princess. Her goal is to “provide quality entertainment.” This could range from singing, playing games or just talking to the kids.

This career started for Emmy a little over a year ago when she was on Craigslist. “I was looking for Iowa State basketball tickets and I just saw this ad,” she said. The ad was for the company Little Princess Parties. She interviewed for the job and got it right away.

Once she landed the job, she had to learn how to be her own fairy godmother and make herself a Disney princess. “They sent me a bunch of makeup tutorials,” she said. Each makeup style takes her about 40 minutes to do. Then she has to put on a wig, which is impossible due to her Rapunzel-like hair. Then it’s time for the singing birds to put on her clothes for her.. just kidding. The company provides fitted costumes, that Emmy says are actually pretty comfortable.

The life of a professional princess is not all glass slippers and enchanted roses. Emmy faces the tough questions any three-year-old girl would ask, “How do mermaids have babies?” She recalls one time when she got that question right after “how do mermaids use the bathroom?” These are the moments she is thankful she is a Performing Arts major. She says that her Performing Arts major at Iowa State has really helped her improvise her way out of awkward questions. The program has also helped her get in the mindset of the Disney princess.

Not only has her major helped her, but her ties to the beauty pageant scene have too. Emmy competes in the Miss America organization. Last year Emmy won the title of Miss Southeast Iowa. Miss America has helped her achieve the Disney princess grace, but has also helped her reach kids that can’t go to birthday parties. The Miss America organization works with Children’s Miracle Network and allows Emmy to visit hospitals as a princess as well.

Emmy remembers one little girl she met who was battling leukemia; she was upset and sitting under a table. Eventually with enough coaxing, Emmy got the girl to come out. Emmy smiles when she talks about the girl laughing and having a good time. Talking to Emmy you can tell she loved spending time with kids in hosptials.

Even though being Cinderella, Elsa, Anna, Ariel, Snow White, Rapunzel, Sleeping Beauty, Tinkerbell and Mulan can be a lot, Emmy has fun with it. Her favorite character is Ariel. Her spunky young-at-heart attitude makes Ariel so appealing to her. Ariel is “easy to play around with kids cause she acts like a kid herself,” Emmy said. Plus wearing the 50 lb. silicon fin in the water is pretty fun for her too.

All this training is leading up to the big leagues for Emmy: Disney World. Recently, Emmy has auditioned for Disney, and she says she, “has an offer on the line.” Emmy is also still looking for other acting jobs.

Emmy’s advice for anyone dreaming of becoming a “Professional Princess” is to “go for it!” The internet is your best friend when finding an odd job such as hers. When interviewing and working she says that you cannot shy away at all. You have to be willing to put yourself out there. If you do that, your dreams really can come true and you can have your own happily ever after.

Iowa State University