Get (nearly) naked for UI’s ninth annual ‘Nearly Naked Mile’

Strip down for a good cause this Saturday

In the spring of 2009, the University of Iowa’s Students Today, Alumni Tomorrow (now called the University of Iowa Future Alumni Network) created an event in partnership with the United Action for Youth to collect clothes donations and push for a healthier Hawkeye community.

Thus, the “Nearly Naked Mile” was born, an annual race in which students and community members alike are invited to donate clothes as opposed to paying a registration fee.

The mile long race starting and ending at Gibson Square in downtown Iowa City isn’t the only attraction of the event. Alongside the fun of running in the friendly competition, a costume contest is often a highlight of the event. A few of the favorite titles to compete for are “best superhero costume” and “most nearly naked,” which some people take quite seriously.

Outside of the obvious fun associated with the race, let’s not forget that it supports an amazing cause.

In lieu of a fee to run in the mile, participants are asked to bring articles of clothing to donate to the United Action for Youth, an organization centered in Johnson County dedicated to helping young kids and parents in need. As you strip for the race, others gain much needed clothing donations.

The event will be taking place this Saturday, April 1st at Gibson Square. Check-in begins at 9 a.m., with the race beginning an hour later. You can find more information on the event, as well as sign up, here.

Don’t forget to get there a tad early to stretch!

University of Iowa Future Alumni Network Iowa City Nearly naked mile Students Today Alumni Tomorrow United Action for Youth University of Iowa