Why everyone is losing it over the Santa Clarita Diet

It’s not what you think it is

A new year means new diet trends, and the first of 2017 has officially surfaced.

#SantaClaritaDiet is currently circulating Instagram, and a lot of people—celebrities included—are posting pictures with bright red fruit smoothies. Strawberries maybe?

However, there’s something a bit off about this trend. See for yourself.

OK, a hot shirtless guy posing with a fancy smoothie. Nothing we haven’t seen before when it comes to “diets that really work!”

But wait, is that… blood?

So whatever brand promoting this diet sells pre-made bottled smoothies. Perfect for busy people on the go, right?

But seriously, that label is a bit concerning. This has to be some kind of joke.

It looks like Drew Barrymore is the diet’s official spokesperson, but none of these Instagram posts explain what the diet is really all about.

We dug a little deeper and went to the Santa Clarita Diet’s official website. The site seems completely legit. They’ve even included an easy three step plan to follow.

So what’s the deal with this diet? Celebs love it and the website tells us it’s all about physical activity, lots of protein, and dedication. Everything makes perfect sense.

The only remaining question is, what exactly are you supposed to be eating?

We took to YouTube for more answers and discovered the secret to the Santa Clarita Diet, as told by Drew Barrymore.

People. The Santa Clarita Diet is all about eating people.

Turns out, The Santa Clarita Diet isn’t 2017’s newest fad diet. It’s an upcoming comedy-horror Netflix series starring Drew Barrymore, a mom who has a craving for human flesh. The show also features actor Timothy Olyphant, who plays Drew’s husband.

The show’s marketing team undoubtedly nailed this promotional campaign. We honestly believed this was all about an actual diet, and most social media users are falling for it too.

It’s coming to Netflix February 3rd.

University of Iowa