All the weird phrases only Iowans say

Wtf is soda?

Here in Iowa, we’re the definition of normal. The way we look, interact and talk is quite plain, which is why most on-air talent tries to mimic our accent (or lack there of). One thing that does set Iowa apart from the rest, though, is our lingo. Like most cultures, we use some phrases to mean things you may have never thought of, and the rest of the world is just doing it wrong in our opinion.

Pop

coke

Pop: a carbonated beverage. You may also know it as “soda,” “cola,” or “Coke,” but here in Iowa, we call it pop. Whether it’s Coke, Pepsi, Mountain Dew or Root Beer, if it’s sweet and has bubbles, we call it pop. And no, when we say “pop,” we certainly don’t mean dad or grandpa.

Cornhole

Cornhole: a tailgating game with the objective of getting a bag into a hole. I’ve heard it named “bags,” “bean bags,” “doghouse” and “baggo,” but regardless of the name, it’s pretty simple: get the dusty bean-filled bag onto the board for one point or in the hole for three. To be completely honest, I’m not sure why we call it cornhole, but if an Iowan asks you to play, just tag along.

RAGBRAI

bikes

RAGBRAI: an incredibly long non-competitive bike ride across one of the hilliest states in America. Technically, RAGBRAI stands for Register’s Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa, but that’s pretty tough to remember and not nearly as fun to say as RAGBRAI. Unfortunately, RAGBRAI is significantly less fun to try than to say. The purpose of the event is to ride a bike from the top of Iowa on down, and people come from far an wide to participate. And fun fact – RAGBRAI is the largest bike-touring event in the world.

A side of ranch

Ranch: a delicious savory condiment used on nearly all Iowan dishes. If you were to check a typical fridge in Iowa, you’d most likely find at least one full bottle of ranch on tap. Outside of Black & Gold, we literally bleed ranch here in Iowa. So please, if you have an Iowan over for dinner, don’t be offended when we ask for a side of ranch – the food tastes great, we’re just addicted to the Hidden Valley.

Puppy Chow

Puppy Chow: cereal, chocolate, peanut butter, butter, vanilla and powdered sugar all mixed together into the best dessert this side of the Mississippi. An Iowan celebration isn’t complete unless someone’s mom brings puppy chow, and we like it that way. If you see an Iowan with white powdery streaks going down their pant legs, don’t worry, it’s just puppy chow residue.

Knee high by the Fourth of July

Knee high by the Fourth of July: a phrase indicating how high sweet corn should be during the summer. Those born in Iowa know what’ll be knee high by the Fourth of July from a young age, perhaps even before they learn to talk. Not only does it rhyme, but it’s a good way for you to check on the sweet corn harvest for that summer. It’s really just supposed to be a kind of inside joke, so if you hear someone say it, just humor us and laugh.

corn

University of Iowa