Everything your waitresses hate you for at the Iowa City bars

We don’t care if this is ‘your song,’ get off the table

Just about every Iowa City bar doubles as a restaurant during daytime hours. That means when you’re a waitress working a dinner shift on a Tuesday, Thursday, Friday or Saturday night you usually don’t get off until after the bar hours have already started.

Let’s be honest, one of the worst things about working at a bar is dealing with drunk people – especially stupid drunk people. So if you’re a college student planning a night out bar hopping with friends, keep the following in mind. Here are all the dumb things we waitresses witness drunk college students doing at the bars… every. damn. weekend.

Getting in the way

Probably the most common—and most annoying—thing that waitresses have to deal with. See that waitress balancing four plates of food and trying to push through the crowd of drunk people to serve her table? You should probably get out of her way. Don’t make her repeatedly scream “excuse me” at the top of her lungs before you finally figure out you should let her pass. Common sense, people.

Knocking over drink trays

Going along with getting in the way, spilling drinks is even worse than dropping food. Move aside and let that waitress carrying a tray with at least seven full beers on it pass. Best part is, if you don’t make her spill, you both stay dry.

Standing on booths and tables

We don’t care what the reason is, whether your favorite song just came on or you’re cheering about that touchdown the Hawks just scored. Waitresses are sick of tapping on you and asking you to get off the table. People eat there. We’re not sure where the miscommunication was in “your feet belong on the floor.” Bottom line: get the hell down.

“Hey you! Can you get us drinks??”

Eye roll. Every time. Not only do we hate the “Hey you!” and grabbing, waving or snapping at us to get our attention, we also can’t stand people who are simply too lazy to get up and walk to the bar. Support the bartenders and get your own drinks instead of relying on waitresses to bring them right to you. The wait staff is busy trying to serve food.

Stealing from the beer tub

While the things listed above are simply just annoyances waitresses often deal with, this one is definitely a more serious issue. First of all, stealing is wrong as it is. Why steal a cheap $3 bottle of beer when you can dish out a few dollars to support the business and buy one from the bar.

Also, little known fact, swiping a beer bottle from that big tub isn’t as harmless as you might think. The staff and managers know exactly how many bottles go in and come out of the tub. For every bottle of beer that gets stolen, the money to cover it comes right out of the waitress’ pocket. You’re not just stealing some beer, you’re stealing money from the waitress who’s been there all night working long, hard hours.

Still don’t think it’s a big deal? Go ahead and try swiping a bottle. We will always catch you, and those big scary door guys love throwing people out.

Having attitude

No one cares about how drunk you are. Every waitress—bartenders, door guys and bus boys, too—that’s on the clock deserves every bar-goer’s respect. No questions asked. If we have to ask you to get off a table, get out of the way or get out of the bar, do as you’re told. It’s nothing personal, we’re just doing our jobs. Don’t throw a hissy fit, run your mouth, cuss us out or start a fight. Just do it.

So next time you go out and hit the bars with your friends, keep all these things in mind. We waitresses want to clock out as soon as possible so we can get out and have fun – we’re students at the University of Iowa, too. We only ask that you make it easy for us.

University of Iowa