90s trends I would rather see come back than chokers

Why did we ever stop wearing sweater vests?

By the mid-1990s, the choker was one of the most popular fashion accessories for celebrities and teens alike. They died out in the early 2000s, but it’s apparently made a resurgence. As a 90s kid, I’m all for throwing it back to the good old days, but the choker is one of the last things I would have ever expected to see again. The following is a list of 90s trends I’d like to see come back before the choker.

Windbreakers

Windbreakers had to be the biggest trend to ever hit the 1990s. From vibrant colors to dull ones, anyone could recognize a windbreaker coming just by the iconic swishing sounds they make. The best part about the jacket is that they’re perfect for any weather and have so many colors that they could go with anything. Considering I have about 10 retro windbreakers in my closet, I’d say I’d rather see these come back before chokers.

Snapbacks

What the hats lack in durability they make up for in style, which is why they’ve come and gone several times in the evolution style. The one-size-fits-all and baseball hats have nearly taken over since the early 2000s, and I don’t see snapback hats finding their way into every-day style for quite some time. Snapbacks still have their place in frats and Halloween costumes, and I’d still put them above chokers in the 90s memorabilia.

Sweater vests

Sweater vests have had several peaks in popularity, including the 50s, 70s and most recently the 90s. The only downside to sweater vests is that your arms are significantly colder than your torso, but having no sleeves allows for more variation in style. So long as we stay away from wearing short sleeved shirts underneath, I’d be fine seeing sweater vests more often.

Crewnecks

Hoodless sweatshirts have been popular since the beginning of time, but it seems like the 90s were the home of crewneck sweatshirts in popular culture. Much like windbreakers, the 90s designed crewnecks with crazy designs and year-round function. Comfortable and easy to match with anything, I’d love to see crewnecks make a splash in the coming 2020s.

Basic Nikes

Shoes were just shoes until Nike released the Air Jordan’s in 1984. Since then, Nike has continued to evolve regular running shoes into a stylish fashion accessory, but there was just something sleek about the basic Nikes produced the 90s. Featuring main black with white accent or vice versa, the simple Nikes popularized before the turn of the century were perhaps the best. The basic Nikes of the past would fall above the choker in 90s fashion to bring back.

University of Iowa