CEO Kyle Reyes thinks all college students are crybabies – and he might be right

Work is a four letter word

Kyle S. Reyes is the president and CEO of The Silent Partner Marketing Firm. While many of you probably didn’t know this, some may have heard of an open letter he recently wrote regarding college students.

You can read his article here.

Mr. Reyes was very blunt in his letter, stating what is most likely a very unpopular opinion in our generation. His main point: college students are complete children.

I’m sure many people are going to be upset after reading his piece. It’s offensive to college students- degrading in a way. It’s difficult to see his point, especially because it’s more of a rant than an actual letter. However, if you read closely, he tells us how to prepare to work in an environment outside of school.

He brought up a list of “facts” which may seem extremely rude at first but, after breakdown, have valid points.

“The Business World Doesn’t Give A Damn About You”

This one is stated pretty harshly. Most people will take one look at it and disregard his whole letter because he sounds like a bit of an ass. That is true, and the way he states his point of view sounds more like a ranting child than a grown man, but behind the voice of a child is a good piece of advice.

Excuses aren’t going to work after we finish school. Sometimes we can’t sleep, sometimes we get sick, and sometimes circumstances make us late.

That’s all true, but the workforce doesn’t want to hear those excuses. All they want is an employee who will be reliable and do what needs to be done. If you can’t do that, they’re simply going to hire someone else.

“The Only Safe Place Is Your Home”

This paragraph took me some time to unravel. Honestly, I think he needs to tone down his anger and focus on the point he’s trying to make. I suppose that’s what I’m here for though, right? So let’s give this a whirl.

Bosses can be dicks. Clearly. Sometimes you’re going to want to scream or cry or quit altogether. But you need to be strong and overcome the challenges you are dealt.

In order to succeed, you’ll need a great deal of patience. You may not always agree with the way things work, but the harder you push yourself and the further you get- the more say you’ll have in how things are run.

“There’s No Such Thing  As Free”

This one’s pretty easy to understand, and it’s completely true.

The concept of free school sounds amazing, right? Well, in the end, someone will have to pay for it.

We need to get used to the fact that we can’t all be equal. Some people are going to make more money than you, that’s just how life works. If you want more, you need to work harder…simple as that.

“If You Don’t Want To Be A Victim, Then Don’t Be”

For once, this guy isn’t being a dick! (applause to you Kyle)

He said this simply, we can’t always play the victim card. People aren’t going to feel bad for us every time we have our feelings hurt so it’s time to toughen up.

He wrote, “The content of who you are as a person is more important than the color of your skin or your socio-economic background or your sex or your weight or your religious affiliation.”

Now, while some people really are victims to hate crimes, it doesn’t happen to us all. He has a point in saying that who we are as people is more important than anything else.

“Success Is Hard Work”

Hopefully everyone already knows this.

If we want to get far, we need to work hard.

Time to toughen up my friends – because it looks like the real world is going to be a bitch. We’re going to work with people like Kyle every day, but it’s going to be worth it in the long run.

Hopefully this slightly revised version of his letter will give us all a little insight, as terrible as he seems…Mr. Reyes is completely correct.

University of Iowa