Burge on lockdown after student filmed in the shower

Police arrived at the scene about twenty minutes ago

A floor of the Burge is currently on lock down after a female student was filmed by an intruder while in the shower.

A Currier freshman said: “The police just came in and asked me if a male of about six foot with a goatee had come running in”.

Eyewitnesses at the Burge said they heard a scream coming from the bathroom before the police arrived.

Freshman Erin Griffin said: “I was about to walk into the shower when my RA ran out and screamed, ‘Get in your rooms and lock the doors!’

“I watched him run out and run down the stairs and run down Fairchild. So scary.

“I feel terrible for this girl.”

Students were then evacuated from the lounge and the 5th floor was on lockdown during the investigation.

Police still aren’t allowing any access into the building.

The building is still in lock down

A source who lives in the Burge said it was impossible to get to the halls because everyone’s crowding in to see what’s going on.  Students have been told to wait to hear from their RAs.

According to residents on the fourth floor, a man of a similar description was seen on different floors yesterday claiming to have lost his wallet.

UPDATE

In a timeline of last night’s events, Dave Visin, the Interim Assistant Vice President and Director of Public Safety said:

“On February 15, 2016, at 10:24 p.m. UI Police responded to Burge Hall regarding a complaint of a person videotaping a female student while showering in the women’s shower room. The incident occurred around 9 p.m. The female student confronted the male and left the room. The suspect did not make physical contact with the female student.

“As the police officer was taking the report in Burge, he received information of suspicious activity in a female restroom in the building. Upon investigation, the officer found a male hiding in a stall. When the officer went to arrest the suspect, a fight ensued and the suspect fled the building.

“Multiple officers canvassed the neighborhood and determined there was no immediate or imminent threat to campus. This is an active criminal investigation.

“In response to this safety and security issue the Housing and Dining is changing all of the mechanical locks on the shower doors in Burge Hall.

“Residents are encouraged to report suspicious activity immediately to Resident Assistants or UI Police and are reminded to be wary of strangers in the buildings.”

The police department have requested anyone with further information regarding this investigation, please contact the Department of Public Safety at (319) 335-5022. Student safety is our top priority and it depends on all of us.

University of Iowa national-us