BREAKING: Police confirm Peeping Tom in Burge

The official statement confirms a trespasser videotaping a female student while showering at 9pm last night

The University of Iowa Police Department have responded to last night’s incident.

In a timeline of last night’s events, Dave Visin, the Interim Assistant Vice President and Director of Public Safety said:

“On February 15, 2016, at 10:24 p.m. UI Police responded to Burge Hall regarding a complaint of a person videotaping a female student while showering in the women’s shower room. The incident occurred around 9 p.m. The female student confronted the male and left the room. The suspect did not make physical contact with the female student.

“As the police officer was taking the report in Burge, he received information of suspicious activity in a female restroom in the building. Upon investigation, the officer found a male hiding in a stall. When the officer went to arrest the suspect, a fight ensued and the suspect fled the building.

“Multiple officers canvassed the neighborhood and determined there was no immediate or imminent threat to campus. This is an active criminal investigation.

The bathroom stall where the intruder hid

He also said steps were being taken to ensure the student’s safety from this point onward.

“In response to this safety and security issue the Housing and Dining is changing all of the mechanical locks on the shower doors in Burge Hall.

“Residents are encouraged to report suspicious activity immediately to Resident Assistants or UI Police and are reminded to be wary of strangers in the buildings.”

Freshman Dania Echeveste was at the Burge yesterday.

She said: “My friend and I were in the lounge studying when he came in and asked if we’d seen a wallet that he’d lost.

“Later that night he was on the same floor walking the hall and my friend said she had seen him outside her door.”

The police department have requested anyone with further information regarding this investigation, please contact the Department of Public Safety at (319) 335-5022. Student safety is our top priority and it depends on all of us.

University of Iowa