Suicide is winning and we need to talk about it

Allowing suicide to get away with its killings by not talking about it won’t stop it or avenge its victims

Suicide is winning.

Its survivors are scared to speak its name because they are afraid that, by doing so, the loss of the victim it took will become real. They will have to admit that someone they love took their own life. But in reality, the victim didn’t take their own life – their mental illness did. Suicide did.

Suicide is the second leading cause of death in the U.S. for people ages 10-24. It is a quiet killer, and as a result, it’s very successful. This is in part because those who are suicidal are often afraid to speak up – their communities have placed negative connotations around the idea of suicide and are uncomfortable speaking about the topic.

A common misconception about someone who is suicidal is that “people who talk about suicide won’t really do it.” This varies from case to case, but for most people, it is a cry for help. It’s their warning sign.

Allowing suicide to get away with its killings by not talking about it or using its name won’t stop it or avenge its victims. It’s not a character in Harry Potter – it can be named, and should be named. While talking about it in conversation, don’t give it other terms like “offing yourself” or “pulling the plug.” Use its proper name: suicide.

Being afraid of it won’t make it go away, but spreading awareness and openly talking about it will. As this week is Mental Illness Awareness Week, I challenge you to take the NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) pledge that says: “Learn about mental health – educate yourself and others. See the person not the illness – strive to listen, understand, tell my own story. Take action – spread the word, raise awareness, make a difference.” Remind someone you know who is battling a mental illness like depression, anxiety, or has suicidal thoughts, that you care about them.

Beat suicide and hear its survivors, whether that is someone you know who struggled with suicidal thoughts in the past, someone who attempted suicide, or someone who lost a loved one to suicide. Ask about their stories, because I can assure you that they want to talk about it and defeat the negative stigma that society connotes it with.

The suicide prevention national hotline number is: 1-800-273-8255. If you use it, you could save a life.

Help the survivors be the winners. Kill suicide.

In remembrance of my little brother and the thousands of other victims suicide has claimed.

IU